Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RIR in Dublin 1916?

pietro

Hi

I just heard yesterday that my Great Uncle, who was in D Company 13th RIR was in Dublin in 1916. Any experts out there able to direct me to where I can find more info?

TIA

Peter

Hi Peter

I can't help you directly, but did you know that there is now a 18 Regiment of Foot Royal Irish Rifles Association, email: assoc18rir@yahoo.com.

I spent the day with them on Saturday at the RBL Wreath Laying Ceremony at Islandbridge and on the way there we stopped at Dr. Steevens Hospital to lay flowers at the grave of 3 men of the regiment who fell in action on 24.4.16.

They are a great bunch of lads and may be able to help you.

post-366-0-25572300-1342018360_thumb.jpg

Peter

The 3rd Reserve Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles was based in Portabello Barracks as part of the Dublin Garrision at the time. In addition there was also a composite battalion sent to Dublin from Belfast, but I don't have much more detail on it's actually make-up.

Ian

I may be mistaken but are your colleagues not from the 18 Regiment of Foot Royal Irish Regiment Association.

Regards, Tommy.

What a dickhead, I of course meant the 18 Regiment of Foot Royal Irish Regiment Association. Ihave no idea where rifles came from!!!!!!!

During the Easter Rising one of Maxwell's despatches stated that when rebellion broke out at midday Mon 24 Apr 1916, he had available

6th Res Cav Regt - 35 officers, 861 men

3 Royal Irish Regt - 18 officers, 385 men

10 R Dublin Fus 37 officers 430 men

3 R Irish Rifles - 21 officers 650 men

The 1916 Easter rebellion handbook ( you can get modern reprints) will tell you more on each one's movements