Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial Yeomanry insignia

CROONAERT

Looking into the service of a Great War Canadian soldier, I see that he had seen previous service with the 27th and 33rd Bns of the Imperial Yeomanry at the very end of and just after the Boer War. I've trawled the internet trying to find images of the cap badges (or any other insignia) worn by these two units and had no success whatsoever. Can anyone help me out with an image of either or both of these please?

Thanks,

Dave

On the odd occasion I have looked into some of the IY Battalions and there is very little to be found on them. They were small units that were kind of thrown together.

I do understand that they were usually formed under the 'sponsorship' of some of the regular county based Territorial units, so I'd be looking at their 'parents' insignia.

Cheers, S>S

Hi Dave,

If you have a copy of Kipling and King? then you can check the images yourself or if you P.M. me your email then I can send you images of the badges worn at the end of the Boer War and up until 1908.

Basically the 27th Coy was the Devonshires and the 33rd Coy was the Royal East Kents--I assume that you are talking about companies as oppose to battalions because I don't believe that there was a 33rd Bn I.Y.(32nd was the highest?) although there was a 27th Bn I.Y.

If this is of any help then please send me your email and I can oblige.

Robert

Gents

The 27th to 32nd. Battalions were the first part of the third contingent of IY sent to South Africa, arriving at the Cape in the period just before the signing of the Peace Treaty in 1902 thus just qualifying for the KSA Medal. 27th Batt. comprised 123rd to 126th Coys.

The 33rd to 39th. Battalions were the second part of the third contingent of IY sent to South Africa. Sailing arrangements meant that they arrived there after the signing of the Peace Treaty and therefore did not qualify for the medal. 33rd. Batt. comprised 147th to 150th.companies.

The third contingent stayed in SA through to 1903.

The shoulder insignia of the two Battalions would have been a straight metal 27IY and 32IY.

They would I believe have worn slouched hats with their badge being a red rosette with a black centre circle with their parent units badge over the metal letter IY.

Dave

Thanks for the info, but all I need to know is details of the insignia? What was the parent unit of them both, please (or did it depend on the particular company)? (and it is the 27th and 33rd Battalions I'm looking for BTW).

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

At the start of the the war IY companies were formed by volunteers from different Yeomanry Regiments and each could be clearly identified as being from a particular regiment. At the end of the war, as in the case of the 27th and 33rd Batts, the origins of companies were not so clear as they were a mix of volunteers from different regiments and as a consequence finding specific insignia for a battalion and/or its constituent companies is as you are finding difficult.

After some digging I can advise that the slouched hat insignia you are looking for is not as in my previous post. It would be the rosette as described but with just three brass numerals indicating which company of the battalion your man belonged too, with Battalion shoulder badges as described above.

If you don't already know which company he served in in each Battalion let me know his name and I may be able to find these details for you.

Dave

• 7 years later...

Hi a message for Dave from heritage plus along the same thread a great uncle of mine served with 123 coy 27th battalion imperial Yeomanry in South Africa would you have any idea of the cap badge or any other insignia. Regards stu

2 hours ago, Lightview said:

Hi a message for Dave from heritage plus along the same thread a great uncle of mine served with 123 coy 27th battalion imperial Yeomanry in South Africa would you have any idea of the cap badge or any other insignia. Regards stu

It seems that the details of the 27th Battalion, and it’s insignia is unknown.  See: http://www.boer-war.com/Military/British/ImperialYeomanryBattalions.html

Edited by FROGSMILE

After some digging I can advise that the slouched hat insignia you are looking for is not as in my previous post. It would be the rosette as described but with just three brass numerals indicating which company of the battalion your man belonged too, with Battalion shoulder badges as described above.

Other than the above from my previous post, as Frogsmile says, nothing is known.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS