Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Thorns

SRD

I have a Herbert Thorns, b 1889 in Nuthurst, Sussex, possibly in India in the 1911 census as a Lance Corporal in the Infantry and then as a Corporal then Sergeant in the Kings Royal Rifle Corp with the DCM (inter alia) in his medal roll index card for the Great War.

I can find little evidence that the Herbert Thorns mentioned are one and the same. Can anyone help me stitch them together?

Thanks.

SRD

3 and 4 Battalions of the KRRC were in India in 1911, 3 Battalion was still in India in Aug 1914 and returned home to Winchester for Nov 1914,joined 80 Bde of 27 Division and landed in France on 21 Dec 1914 (the date on the MIC shows 20 Dec 1914 so really the same Bn. Your man's DCM of Apr 1915 as a L/SGT on the MIC shows him as 3 Battalion.No other H (single initial) Thorns listed.

Did you see the DCM citation ? If not it says:

"For conspicuous gallantry at St Eloi on 15 Feb 1915,when he rushed forward with one other man ahead of his Company right into the enemy's trenches,the effect of which was that the Germans threw down their arms".

Sotonmate

Thanks very much.

I hadn't seen the citation, where would one go to find it? Is there any way to find the other man?

I see from his 'original' MIC (dated 20-12-14 and written in red) that he received the 15 Star as a Cpl and it appears that the DCM, Victory & British (written in blue) as a * Sgt (does the * indicate the Lance?). And what does the 'disc' in the remarks section indicate?

Did Herbert survive the war?

The asterisk usually just indicates which details pertain to which medal when it needs to be made absolutely clear

Disc is probably discharged, which would suggest he survived

The date relating to his star is probably the date he entered a theatre of war

I don't know if you've looked at the four pages on FMP for a Herbert Thorns born Mannings Heath, Horsham (transcribed as Hastings) c.1891. He was Royal Sussex Regiment - 35th & 107th Foot reg no 9833 and enlisted in November 1906. He was with the Sussex for 61 days days before transferring to KRRC. There's nothing much else on these records, apart from a note his older brother is Thomas.

Herbert Thorns died Chatham 1956 age 67.

Thanks, if you can find his missus, Rose May, I'd be even more delighted.

I don't know if you've looked at the four pages on FMP for a Herbert Thorns born Mannings Heath, Horsham (transcribed as Hastings) c.1891. He was Royal Sussex Regiment - 35th & 107th Foot reg no 9833 and enlisted in November 1906. He was with the Sussex for 61 days days before transferring to KRRC. There's nothing much else on these records, apart from a note his older brother is Thomas.

Thank you, I don't have full access to FMP and there are a couple of interesting items there I didn't have,

• 1 year later...

I see from the DCM MIC that, as well as the citation in the LG dated 1/4/15 there is another edition mentioned, i.e. LG 18/2/15. Despite battling with the new search facility at the LG (which, incidentally, I dislike ) I can't find that edition, can anyone help me find it please?

I have been in touch with the LG and it would appear that in the 'upgrade' to their site some pages have been inadvertently left out. In this case page 1705 appears to be missing, as that covers the part of the alphabet covering the letter T. They have passed a note to the relevant department.

Thanks, if you can find his missus, Rose May, I'd be even more delighted.

I haven't found a Rose May but I did find an Elsie Sarah Stevens marriage to Herbert Thorns (born abt1888, father Felix Thorns) in 1927 in Yorkshire. Herbert is named as a Bachelor in the marraige entry. Herbert is described as a "retired Planter"

Name: Herbert Thorns Birth Date: abt 1888 Event Type: Marriage Father: Felix Thorns Marriage Date: 19 Feb 1927 Marriage Age: 39 Spouse: Elsie Sarah Stevens Spouse Marriage Age: 34 Archive Location: Leeds Parish or Chapel: Oxford Place Chapel Spouse Father: Thomas Stevens Reel Number: Leeds; LNC 9 Reference Number: OP3/31

Elsie Sarah died in 1951 in Maidstone, Kent.

Herbert Thorns born January 1889 - registered in Horseham, Sussex.

In the 1891 census Herbert Thorns (born in Nuthurst) is aged 2 - living with this Father Felix (b1849, Ashurst, Sussex), Mother Ann (b1850, West Grinstead, Sussex) and their eight children. Annie (18 years old, b West Grinstead), Thomas (14, born West Grinstead), William (12, born Nuthurst), Edward (10, born Nuthurst), Albert (7, born Nuthurst), Ellen (5, born Nuthurst), Harriett (4, born Nuthurst) and Herbert (2, born Nuthurst). Felix is a Butcher and Beer Retailer. They are living at a house called Ingleside in Mannings Heath.

In the 1901 census Herbert Thorns of that family is living with his brother - Thomas (and his wife Fanny L) in Horsham (Fox and Hounds Inn).

Is that your Herbert? Where/When was Rose May referenced?

Thanks, that's my Herbert, and Rose May is referred to as his widow in the record in the Probate index so it looks like he remarried between 1951 & 1956.

THORNS Herbert of Oakdene Walderslade-road Walderslade Chatham died 13 April 1956 Probate London 9 June to Rose May Thorns widow and Edith Irene Thorns spinster.

Effects £870 13s 3d.

Note: Edith Irene is probably his brother Albert's daughter (b 1911).