Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Junior Officer. M.M.R

corisande

I am researching this man

1920 Mar 5. LG. The following Officers have been mentioned in despatches Junior Officer Frederick Aspill, M.M.R.

I am unsure as to the standing of MMR. How does it differ from RNR?

I have downloaded the RNVR service record of a A P.O Frederick Aspill who was demobilised 17 Apr 1919. He joined RND in 1916, and was a "carman" in civilian life

I am trying to establish if he could have been the same man - does not look likely to me, but my knowledge in this area is sparse!

I would say it is very unlikely that they are the same man. Frederick ASPILL RNVR/RND would have been 41 years old in 1920 - not an age for a Junior Officer of the Mercantile Marine Reserve. MMR officers and men were serving in merchant ships that were requisitioned by the Admiralty. Although under Admiralty control, these men were not part of the Naval Service.

Thanks for the help. The combination seems unlikely. So I will discard the RND man

The chap I am after is the MMR man who appears to be the right man for me - I am after him as he joined auxiliaries in Ireland in 1920.

He signed up with the auxiliaries as "Sub Lt" and MID and for his military service appears to have "P N T O". The register is virually impossible to read in places. I assume that it is "RN" something

PNTO = Principal Naval Transport Officer. Presumably he was attached to the PNTO organisation in North Russia in 1920 while serving in the MMR. He did not qualify for the WW1 Mercantile Marine Medal and does not appear in the ADM 171 RN Officers' Medal Roll, which includes MMR . I would guess his MM career started after 1918 and, from what you describe, only lasted a couple of years at most.

Thanks again for the clarification on PNTO. A lot of the Auxiliaries served in North Russia, so is a strong possibility that he was there.

Given the commoness of his name, it looks as if I will not get any further unless some fortuitous information suddenly presents itself

His MiD was for "Services in North Russia 1919". On the same LG list all the officers were decorated for Naval Transport services, in various places, and I think it highly likely that this was a Naval Transport list and that many (all?) of the others listed (several MMR) were for similar work.

Thanks for establishing for me that he was in North Russia