The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd Guards Brigade Trench Mortar Battery

Patrick Watt

Morning All

Does anyone happen to know which officers served with the 3rd Guards Brigade Trench Mortar Battery from March 1917? I am researching a relative who was transferred to that unit on 12 March 1917 with his master (so says his service record).

The soldier in question, Private Alexander Ingram, later was a butler to the Duke of Wellington and I wondered if he might have been his batman in the trenches, leading to a permanent appointment after the war?

All the best

Patrick

Patrick

You will likely find the Officer personnel in the Guards Division Trench Mortar Batteries War Diary as there is no single unit included in the Guards Brigades War Diary list, WO95/1204/3 is the reference and it covers Aug 1916 to Jan 1919.

Sotonmate

Thats fantastic Sotonmate, thanks for your help.

Now, does anyone happen to have a copy of the diaries?!? :whistle:

All the best

Patrick

Patrick

I would have managed a Look Up at the NA but am not now going there until Sept.You could ask here in the Look Ups Section.

If you still have no info by early Sept send me a PM and I will see if I can find anything.

Sotonmate

Patrick,

I have been researching a Welsh Guardsman who was in the 3rd.Guards Trench Mortar Battery - Gdsmn. Daniel Lewis 3446. I have their War Diary page covering from the 1st. Nov 1918 - 18th. Nov. 1918. Your man isn't mentioned, but then ORs weren't mentioned by name, only officers. If you PM me your email address I'll forward the page to you. If you happen to come accross any references to Dan Lewis, especially the way he was killed on the 2nd. Nov. 1918, I'd be very grateful.

Sotonmate - thanks for the offer. If I haven't found out by September then I will give you a shout!

Huw - PM sent! Thanks!

Patrick

Kevin

Thats a great spot! No idea how many times I read that form and missed it completely!

Many thanks!

Patrick