Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required with Canadian War Diaries

BillyH

Good afternoon!

I am reasonably familiar with finding war diaries for British regiments, but I am researching 2 brothers who emigrated and joined up with the Canadians.

I have bought their service papers, and although they are pretty good they don't contain any war diary entries which I had been led to believe that the Canadian service papers contained.

So how do I go about getting war diaries for Canadian Infantry? I don't mind buying them but I really only want to see the few days leading up to their deaths.

I am after the 3rd & 27th Battalions.

Any help or advice would be most welcome!

Regards, BillyH.

Hi BillyH,

The Canadian War Diaries can be consulted and downloaded free of charge. Click here for a review of all the available Diaries.

Cheers,

Michael

Ulsterlad & Michael,

Thanks to you both for your help, I couldn't have asked for an easier or better answer either.

What a pity we don't have free access to British war diaries as well !

Regards, BillyH.

You're welcome Billy. May I also suggest that you look up the Brigade Diaries associated with those Battalions as well. The Btn diaries are good but the Bde diaries are excellent.

Ulsterlad2

Where can we get hold of the brigade diaries, can we get them through the links mentioned above

Cheers Pete

Where can we get hold of the brigade diaries, can we get them through the links mentioned above

Yes.

If you are looking for specific information about the CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Force) you might want to have a look at the CEFSG MATRIX UTILITIES which you will find here:

http://cefresearch.ca/matrix/Utilities/index.htm

I mention that today only because we have just changed from the .COM to the .CA address for the CEFSG Forum, of which the Matrix is a sibling.

Most of us started out on the GWF and are still active members .... so ask anything and we will be there to assist.

Richard