Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the Hon. Francis Geoffrey Pearson

FrankLJ

Youngest son of Lord Cowdray(later President of the Air Board). b. 23 August, 1891 d. 06 September, 1914

Staff Sergeant, Motor Transport Division. Mortor-cycle courier.

The death of Ssgt. Pearson was notable at the time, as he is supposed to have died as a result of inhumane treatment by the German Army after his capture.

Conan Doyle listing various German atrocities in Chap.6 of his book 'The German War' says:

"There is the account of the brutality which culminated in the death of the gallant motor cyclist Pearson, the son of Lord Cowdray."

Full chapter here:

http://www.gutenberg...80-h.htm#toc_42

I have not been able to find any contemporary account of this incident. Does any one have any info on the circumstances of the death of Francis Geoffrey Pearson?

• Admin

Frank, In the book The Aristocracy an The Great War by Geral Gliddon, there is a description which probably eminates from the above, saying that Pearson and his colleague were treated badly by their captors, were beaten and were made to act of beasts of burden, and at Varreddes they were put into trenches with the Germans expecting them to be killed by French Artillery.

It also states that after the war, Lord Cowdray purchased the plot of land around the grave (Pearson being buried where he fell during his escape) and when his body was exhumed and re interred in Montreuil aux Lions a memorial was erected at the site of the grave. However I have been unable to locate the memorial on visits to the area.

Michelle

• Admin

Enquiries at the local Mairie drew a blank, I could not find any mention of Pearson In Bond of Sacrifice nor can I find the cemetery register for Montreuil aux Lions (I am sure my father has a copy), which gives a great deal more information than the website.

Michelle