Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trains from Paris to Arras

ARMAGH

Looking help from forum members,my wife and I (Auld yins) are flying to Paris CDG Airport in September.The 2TGV train leaves at 2116 and arrives in Arras 2206 hrs50mins. We arrive at the CDG Airport at 1615hrs so I am looking a train about 1700 hrs to takes us straight to Arras ? is there one?

On the return we want to arrive at GDG Airport for 1400hrs,Which train should we catch?

Can any one help?

Many thanks

Joe

Hi Joe. This is a trip that I've taken many times and I've always went up to Arras on the TGV that leaves CDG at around 18:50pm.

This might seem like a bit of a wait but the plane ETA 16:15pm is a 'marketing gimmick'. As soon as the back wheels touch down they are on the tanoy, "Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Paris" even though there's another 20 minutes of taxiing before you actually get off.

Also the distance between where you come through passport control and get the train isn't a 2 minute dander. You'll need to give yourselves time to walk there. A slight delay in the flight time or getting your bag off the conveyor will also eat into the time. Having this extra time will allow you to get your bearings, get to where you are meant to be, have a coffee/beer/burger and be ready for the train instead of it all being a mad rush.

If I remember rightly then on the way back there's always a bit of a wait at CGD because of the TGV times. The only one that suited arrived at CGD around 13:00pm because the next one was just too late to take.

I've just checked the ticket site and the times given for trains around 16:00 are: 15:37 arr 16:27.& 18:47 arr 19:28.

"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" Noon are: 11:47 arr 12:43 & 15:26 arr 16:16

If you let us know the actual days you will be travelling on then I'll check what TGV's come up on the rail site.

Hi Joe. This is a trip that I've taken many times and I've always went up to Arras on the TGV that leaves CDG at around 18:50pm.

This might seem like a bit of a wait but the plane ETA 16:15pm is a 'marketing gimmick'. As soon as the back wheels touch down they are on the tanoy, "Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Paris" even though there's another 20 minutes of taxiing before you actually get off.

Also the distance between where you come through passport control and get the train isn't a 2 minute dander. You'll need to give yourselves time to walk there. A slight delay in the flight time or getting your bag off the conveyor will also eat into the time. Having this extra time will allow you to get your bearings, get to where you are meant to be, have a coffee/beer/burger and be ready for the train instead of it all being a mad rush.

If I remember rightly then on the way back there's always a bit of a wait at CGD because of the TGV times. The only one that suited arrived at CGD around 13:00pm because the next one was just too late to take.

I've just checked the ticket site and the times given for trains around 16:00 are: 15:37 arr 16:27.& 18:47 arr 19:28.

"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" Noon are: 11:47 arr 12:43 & 15:26 arr 16:16

If you let us know the actual days you will be travelling on then I'll check what TGV's come up on the rail site.

Hello Ulsterlad2

That is a better time leaving for Arras,we are flying out on the 19 September arr 1615hrs and returning on the 26 september I would like to be at CDG Airport for 1400hrs, flight dep 1645hrs

Many thanks for your kind help

Joe

We are meeting up with Belgium friends in Arras and travelling by car to the Somme inc the Ulster Tower,a different way of touring F&F

Hi Joe.

I've just checked the days you are traveling and the first tgv available after you land is the one that goes at 18:47 arr 19:28.

On the way back there is no tgv that gets to CGD at 2pm. You'd have to get the one from Arras that leaves at 11:47 arr 12:43

Or risk getting the 15:26 arr 16:16 but that's just asking for trouble with a 16:45 flight time.

I use this site for booking tickets.

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/sncf.aspx

Hi Joe.

I've just checked the days you are traveling and the first tgv available after you land is the one that goes at 18:47 arr 19:28.

On the way back there is no tgv that gets to CGD at 2pm. You'd have to get the one from Arras that leaves at 11:47 arr 12:43

Or risk getting the 15:26 arr 16:16 but that's just asking for trouble with a 16:45 flight time.

I use this site for booking tickets.

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/sncf.aspx

ulsterlad2

That is good advice,I would rather be early and hang about.

Thank you for your advice,if you are down Armagh way,give me a shout, there is also coffee or a dram going.

Joe

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone for there help and advice.

Battle Fields of France trip 19 to 26 September 2012

Wednesday 19 September 2012 We flew from Belfast Int to Paris Charles de Gaulle Terminal 2B arrived 1615hrs, Time for a good lunch in the restaurant at the airport. We departed to Arras by TGV 2005hrs arrived 2055 (50 mins) (there is an earlier TGV but the cost is double what we paid) 2 seniors £32. Holiday Inn is just across the road from the railway station. Walking distance.

Return Journey 26 Sept 2012 Depart Arras at 1147hrs arr Paris CDG2 at 1243 Hrs there is a later TGV but the timings are to tight for the flight. Time for a lunch at the airport, there is a good restaurant. Flight Check in opens 1445. Depart for Belfast 1645. Cost for two seniors £28. This I found was quite easy and stress free.

Many thanks

Joe

Thank you Ulster Lad2 for your kind words, I will try,but I do,nt want to bore people, Arras is a really nice place to spend a couple of nights.

ArrastheSommeSept2012022.jpg

We stayed there for two nights. Thursday morning we walked down to the Public information which is on Heros Square. 10 mins walk from hotel, we found out about the Wellington Tunnels tours details,

Carrière Wellington Museum e

the Tunnels are a short walk from the hotel, there is also a large supermarket next door. I was at the official opening of the Tunnels in 2008.

There is plenty of restaurants down from the Holiday inn or in Heros square.

On Friday morning we met our Belgium friends and drove to the Faubourg d.Amiens Brittish Cemetery and the Aras Memorial to the Missing also there is the RFC,RNAS and the Royal Air Force Memorial, close by there is the Mur des Fusilles with its 200 plaques forming a memorial to the French patriots who were shot in this dismal place by the Nazis between 1941 and 1944,we then started the drive to Pozieres where our BB is, which is a good location for researching the Somme Area

ArrastheSommeSept2012090.jpg

We stopped at quite a few cemeteries. that held Black Watch or VC or RFC Graves our Belgium friends Freddy and Anita take photos of those graves for a friend in Scotland,

On Saturday we drove to the Ulster Tower and met Don and Maureen Mitchell from Bushmills who have recently taken over the Ulster Tower, a very nice pleasant couple, we wish them luck, a flute band from Scotland arrived and had a small parade, most enjoyable, we then went to the Thiepval Memorial

Arras is I think a very good place to start a tour of France & Flanders,and flying into Paris is I think better for us from N.Ireland,saves on the drive down to Dublin in the early hours and parking fees or take a bus down and stay over night in a hotel.

It is an other way of going to the battle fields.

ArrastheSommeSept2012097.jpg

The Somme

At Thiepval the mighty memorial stands supreme on the battlefield where over 73000 men have no known grave. It was built on the site of the old chateau

ArrastheSommeSept2012099.jpg