Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt William Houghton, 8th RWF, killed 9/4/16

Mark Hone

The present conflict and stories about the wretched state of the Basra Memorial To the Missing has brought to mind one of the few Bury Grammar School Great War dead whom I have not researched in detail. He is 2nd Lt William Houghton 11th Battalion (attached 8th Bn) Royal Welch Fusiliers, who died on 9th April 1916 and is commemorated on the Basra Memorial. Unfortunately there are no personal details on his CWGC entry, 'Officers Died' simply records him as 'killed in action' and I have not tracked down a local newspaper obituary for him. Could an expert on the Mesopotamian campaign please tell me what the battalion was doing on that date and the possible circumstances of his death? I am hoping to incorporate the story into a school assembly in the near future.

Mark

Have you checked his record at the PRO?

They show five Officers named Houghton with the initial W - references are WO 339/2890, WO 339/53031, WO 339/99748, WO 339/134734 and WO 374/34918.

However WO 339/2890 is shown a 2nd Lt W years 1914 - 1916.

Hope this helps.

Dear Ivor,

Thanks very much. Unfortunately present circumstances mean that the PRO is inaccessible to me in my outpost in the frozen North. One of these days (such as when I retire...) I shall get round to checking a lot of the newly available service records.

Mark H.

Previous to my earlier information, it appears that Houghton was originally in 11th Bn The Royal Fusiliers but was transferred to 8th Royal Welch Fusiliers. His CWGC record is confusing on this point but both SDGW and our school roll of honour record him as originally 11th RF rather than 11th RWF. Ah, the complexities of British army nomenclature!

Mark

Officers Died lists William Houghton as a Temp 2/Lt 11th Royal Fusilers (att 15Bn.) (att. 8.RW FUS.) so does this mean he was attached to the 15 Royal Fusiliers and from there was attached to the 8/RW FUS? (See 1-14 Feb 1916 note of six Lieuts joining for duty from the Royal Fusiliers, no names given.)

The following is taken from the War Diary of the 8th (Service) Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Feb. & 1-11 Apr. 1916.

FEBRUARY 1916 PORT SAID

1st to 14th

Battalion remained in Camp from the 1st to 14th doing Coy & Battn training. 13th Division inspected by Genl Sir A. Murray on the 3rd. Lt.Col. Hay, Capts Powell and Temp Capt Rees proceeded on Leave to ENGLAND on the 2nd inst for 30 days. Six Lieuts joined for duty from the Royal Fusiliers on the 8th inst. The Transport which remained at ALEXANDRIA when the Battn proceeded to GALLIPOLLI, rejoined on arrival at PORT SAID.

14th

Battn embarked on S.S. BRITON with orders to proceed to BUSRAH to join the Indian Expeditionary Force “D”

28th

Disembarked at MARGI WHARF and encamped 3 ½ miles up the RIVER SHATT-EL-ARAB from BUSRAH.

29th

In camp at MARGIL. During the month one Officer and six men were admitted to Hospital.

E. A. STRETCH, Capt. Adj. 8 / R. W. Fusiliers.

APRIL 1916 ORAM

1st – 5am

Arrived from SHEIKH SAAD after a very trying night march. A heavy thunderstorm broke just before starting & made the surface of the ground very slippery & greasy, the numerous nullahs (?) that had to be crossed were formidable obstacles to the transport. Remained in Bivouacs for the remainder of the day.

HANNAH

2nd – 6 pm

The Battalion crossed the TIGRIS & took over the section of the fire trenches from the 7th Division. Arrangements continued to be made for the attack.

4th – 7 (pm?)

The Battalion closed up into its final position preparatory for the assault. The second line of our trenches were occupied & the Battalion was extended along it in line.

5th – 4.55 am A simultaneous movement was made by the whole Division at this hour, the 8th R.W.F. moved through the Wiltshire Regt. (who had captured the first line) & pushed on to occupy the 2nd line.

The Turks had practically abandoned the position & there was no opposition. Finding the trenches empty somewhat confused the troops & a mixed body of men pressed on to the third line & then unfortunately came under the fire of our Artillery. The troops were quickly reorganized & the advance continued towards the FALAHIYEH position some four to five miles in rear of HANNAH. The 40th Brigade had orders to cover the advance of the 38th & 39th. The 8th R. W. Fusiliers were in the 3rd line. The advance was continued as long as possible till checked by machine gun & rifle fire when the troops lay down & dug themselves in. At dusk the 38th & 39th Brigade came up & went through the 40th Brigade & rushed the trenches in front.

FALAHIYEH

5th - 10pm

The Battalion moved into Bivouac on the river bank.

6th - 8.30 am

The Battalion Brigade moved out at short notice to occupy the captured position, repair the trench & clear the ?

6pm The Battalion move forward about a mile to occupy some old Turkish trenches & also to watch the trench round the SUWAKIEH Marsh.

7th

Remained in Bivouacs.

8th - 3pm

Orders were received that the 13th Division was to advance at dusk with a view to rushing the SANNAIYAT at dawn. Captain T. G. Graham reported his arrival from England.

7pm - The Brigade moved off & got into position as intended in lines of Platoons at a supposed distance of 1100 yards from the Turkish trench. The night was very still not a shot being fired. It was excessively cold & by morning the troops were thoroughly chilled.

SANNAIYAT

9th - 4.20 am

The whole Division rose & moved forwards simultaneously. The 38th & 40th Brigades in the first line & the 39th in support in rear. For the first few hundred yards all went well till the Turks suddenly put up a flare & opened fire. The line wavered, lost direction & for a time broke. The effort was made to endeavour to get the men forwards but this was found to be impossible. It was rapidly growing light as directions were given to dig in on the line that had been reached. Battalions & Brigades had become considerably mixed up & no attempt could be made till dusk to straighten out the line. After dark the 38th & 39th Brigades withdrew leaving the 40th on the left of the line near the river.

11th 7pm

The Brigade was relieved & came back into bivouacs near FALAHIYEH.”

Unfortunately this war diary doesn't list the names of officers who were killed during this period, but at the end of the month the following report of casualties is given:

"Total casualties during the month.

Officers.

Killed 4

Died of Wounds 2

Wounded 16

Missing 3

Sick 2

Other Ranks

Killed 27

Died of Wounds 4

Wounded 241

Missing 32

Sick 60

Total 364

A. R. HAY Lieut.Col.

O.C. 8 / R. W. Fusiliers

1.5.16"

Alan Seymour

Dear Alan,

Thanks very much. I shall carry out a careful analysis of the war diary for clues.

Alan,

Thanks for the 8th RWF diary extract!!!

I'am researching 24601 Pte. William Henry Hill 8th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Killed on April 9, 1916, the same action as 2nd Lt William Houghton.

Having the war diary gives me a great helping hand.

Best wishes

David

• 12 years later...

Resurrecting this very old thread as we approach the centenary of Houghton's death, I am trying to fill in a few of the details of his service before attachment to the 8th RWF. He is described as 11th Royal Fusiliers (Attached 15th Battalion) and, as per the information in the earlier post here, seems to have joined the RWF as part of a draft of 6 officers in February 1916 at Port Said. I am just putting the finishing touches to his obituary on our online Centenary Roll of Honour and would very much appreciate if anyone has further information or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

post-120-0-50699500-1458671361_thumb.jpe

Further research in the school magazine indicates that Will Houghton had illustrations published by 'Punch' and 'London Opinion' and in 1913 is described as 'one of Britain's leading poster artists'. Sadly I don't think that he was responsible for Lord Kitchener and so far I haven't managed to track down any examples of his work.

• 3 years later...

Will Houghton was a member of the London Sketch Club and we plan to include his name on our Roll of Honour which is finally being created over 100 years since that matter was raised in Committee. Any information or artwork by this artist would be of great interest to the Club.

Thank you

Stephen Bartley

Vice President 

London Sketch Club

Stephen,

My detailed Bury Grammar School Roll of Honour entry for Will Houghton can be seen at:

http://bgsarchive.co.uk/Filename.ashx?tableName=ta_boys_rollofhonour&columnName=filename&recordId=18

Unfortunately, I was not able to trace any examples of his artwork. You might also be interested in the entry for his nephew, John Houghton Binns, who died in the Royal Flying Corps in 1917: 

http://bgsarchive.co.uk/Filename.ashx?tableName=ta_boys_rollofhonour&columnName=filename&recordId=64

I would be very interested in any further information you uncover and also your creation of the Sketch Club Roll of Honour.