The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Researching Lt Roland Keith Douglas

dannybou

Good day to all

I have started a project which, I hope, will lead to my first publication. On our local cenotaph, I was able to find that a few of the names on it actually didn't serve with the CEF but with the BEF. Hence this officer, Roland Keith Douglas. I ran his name through findmypast and ancestry and returned no hits, so I am assuming his service file was destroyed in WW2.

Would any members have information on this officer? Thanks

Danny

I presume you have the CWGC details ? son of John/Georgina Noyes Douglas of St Phillips D'Argenteuil P Q Canada served 19th Sq RAF died 28-11-1918 buried Niederzwehren Cemetery. I understand that RAF records are still in existence but how you get them I do not know. Ralph.

His file at TNA [AIR 79/682/74679] has not been digitised. I suggest you adopt your best hang-dog expression and ask a kindly Pal to photograph it for you :thumbsup: [perhaps add it to the title of the thread?]

The file I found for him at the National Archives is under AIR 76/138 a total of 5 pages available for £3.50. He was apparantly born 1st June 1898. Ralph.

Glad I checked this before going to bed. Yes I did have the info from the CWGC but not where the file was at Kew. Thanks very much, I'll head to their website tomorrow. Great stuff indeed.

Danny

According to Trevor Henshaw's, "The Sky Their Battlefield" (p. 378), Lieutenant Roland Keith Douglas, 19 Squadron, Royal Air Force, flying a Sopwith Dolphin (C4043), took off on an offensive patrol at 1612 on 11th August 1918 from which he did not return. It is suggested that he might have been shot down by Leutnant A. Heldman, Jasta 10, who claimed a Dolphin at 1800 on the same day.

The date the CWGC gives his as his date of death as 26th November 1918, aged 20.

Poor soul, survived being shot down, very lucky in those days, only to die in a POW camp. :poppy:

According to Trevor Henshaw's, "The Sky Their Battlefield" (p. 378), Lieutenant Roland Keith Douglas, 19 Squadron, Royal Air Force, flying a Sopwith Dolphin (C4043), took off on an offensive patrol at 1612 on 11th August 1918 from which he did not return. It is suggested that he might have been shot down by Leutnant A. Heldman, Jasta 10, who claimed a Dolphin at 1800 on the same day.

The date the CWGC gives his as his date of death as 26th November 1918, aged 20.

Thanks for this information.

Danny

Actually I have downloaded three service files from the Archives website, three airmen who died during WW1:

George Wesley MacAllister

Roland Keith Douglas

Arthur Barlow Whiteside

I believe Whiteside is a winner of the Military Cross and a bar.

Since the files downloaded are only 5 pages, well actually 4 if you discount the Archives cover page, is it worth obtaining the full service file? My book will consist of a short bio of the soldiers and airmen on our cenotaph here in Lachute.

Danny

Danny