Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Julien trench map +/- 25/4/15

mortimer

The nearest I can do is 21/7/1915. From the NA DVD from N and M Press.

Roger

post-42671-0-11913500-1341490641_thumb.j

Unless you find sketch maps in war diaries or regimental histories, I think you're going to be hard-pressed to find a trench map for there on that date. The one posted by Roger is just about the earliest official British trenchmap for that area but, obviously, shows the lines in a totally different location to where they were on 25th April 1915. Earlier trenchmaps were produced by the French Army, but these pre-date the 2nd Battle of Ypres and only show the German trenches beyond the Strombeek and Langemark with no French trenches depicted... and certainly nothing around St.Julien. I don't know of any updates to these maps printed during the battle, but there are probably hand-annotated examples still in existance. I'm unsure of any German printed trench map for around that date, but I've never seen one.

Good luck! :ph34r:

Dave

O.H. map extract showing lines and unit locations on 25th April 1915 which may help a little...

post-357-0-45321700-1341491981_thumb.jpg

Hi

As Dave says, your best bet is a Regimental history. The 50th Division was involved in the action of 25th/26th April when the Germans made 2 attacks. The only published history with a reasonably detailed account of the fight for Boetleer was the 8th Durhams. The map is too large to post on the Forum, so if you PM me your email address I'll scan and send it

Regards

Martin

• 10 years later...
  • Admin

Members can send you a map if they can find one via private messages. I’ve removed your email address from your post. It’s not a good idea to put personal information on a public forum. 

This map is in the April 1915 War Diary of 1 Bn Rifle Brigade (4 Div). TNA WO 95/1496.

(Ancestry Filmstrip Piece 1496 p 202). St Julien is top right.

Brian

1496.jpg

On 20/10/2022 at 21:37, willembeerland said:

I search a copy of a battle  map of 25/04/1915 st julien keeselaere can someone help and send it to this e mail ( removed by moderator) 

That is a very early date for trench maps. In TrenchMapper, if you right click, choose Map ID jump and use ID=m_026531 there is a map of July 1915.

Sadly not every map bears a date so others in the 349 maps availbale there that cover that place may give what you need but for undated maps you will have to correlate with other information.

Howard