Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crowborough Camp & St Johns Common 1911-1919

nimrod1897

I am currently researching the role of the Crowborough area in the first World War. There was a large transit/training camp on the edge of town, which was used by numerous units during the war, either passing through or attending courses. There was a very large YMCA hut based at the camp which put on concerts for the troops and other entertainments. There was also an area of the Ashdown Forest (St Johns Common) which was used for summer camps by the Territorial Force in the pre-war years. In addition there was a VAD hospital in the Town + a private hospital for wounded Canadian officers. Also an ASC depot near the train station at Jarvis Brook. Some troops were also billeted in the town, which also hosted a number of Belgian refugee families. I know that there were a number of inquests into grenade training fatalities, and also into drownings by soldiers bathing in the millponds on the edge of town.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with knowledge of any aspects of military activities in the area or photos.

2/6th Manchesters were there from mid May 1915. This from my book:

"

Overnight on 15/16 May, the battalion moved to camp at Crowborough in Sussex. “Camp arrangements nearly perfect. Hot and cold baths and showers. Not allowed out of camp. Wrote to mother.” (Lance Corporal Frank Thompson).

The men had had a fairly easy time at Southport but this was soon put behind them. On 19 May, they went on a 14 mile march. “Very tired. Hills terrible”. And, over the following two days, they constantly practised attacks. On the 22nd, Thompson records “Huts cleared out for Brigade Major inspection. Scrubbed floors, bed planks, etc. He didn’t turn up”. The final days of the month were spent on route marches, attack practices or, again, preparing for inspections.

On 1 June, the first draft of men left to go overseas to join the first line battalion at Gallipoli and Thompson was notified that he would be in the second draft. He was allowed a few days home leave, before returning to Crowborough for final training. He celebrated his 21st birthday on 28 June, receiving a number of presents form family. Two days later, Thompson and sixty one other men drew sun helmets and other stores and paraded to march to the local railway station. The train took them to Devonport where, on 4 July, they set sail for Gallipoli. As recorded in Chapter 3, Thompson and his comrades disembarked at Cape Helles on the 23rd. On 7 August, he was killed in action.

There are only scant records of the battalion’s activities for the remainder of 1915 and most of 1916. Men would arrive after initial training with the 3/6th Battalion, to be made ready for active service and then be sent overseas to the first line unit at Gallipoli and, from early 1916, Egypt. Also in early 1916, the battalion and the remainder of 66th Division assumed responsibility for guarding the south east coast and were based around Colchester. As the year progressed, it was decided that the Division would, in due course, go on active service in its own right. However, the constant demands for replacement troops by the frontline units meant that their own ability to become battle-ready continued to be hampered. It was only towards the end of the year that a period of relative peace in Egypt reduced the need for drafts to be sent and the second line units could concentrate on their own needs. By January 1917, the Division was declared ready for active service and, on 3 March, an advance party of 3 officers and seventy eight other ranks left camp for Boulogne. The remainder of the battalion followed two days later and, from this point, a war diary of activities was maintained[1].

[1] National Archives reference: WO95/3144

Many thanks for that - anyone with details of other units or individuals experiences at Crowborough I'd be very grateful to hear them.

• 6 years later...

I know that the original post was some time ago but someone may find these postcards of interest . They show the Royal West Kents at

Crowborough Camp in 1911 and the camp itself .

croboro camp.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I have a post card showing Crowborough, dating to 10th Aug 1911, I believe. It shows five men in uniform outside a tent with the title "the K-Nuts". Does anyone know the meaning of this title?

This thread gives an answer to the meaning of the word Knut at that time . 

A knut was a word used in the early 20th century to denote a fashionable man-about-town. I've seen a few postcards depicting soldiers with the word in the caption or message, perhaps used facetiously. The most famous usage was in a music-hall chorus.

See here

Moonraker

EDIT: Black Maria beat me to it by a few seconds, partly because I was wondering whether I had answered the question before!  In fact I'd asked it, 14 years ago! :blink:

Edited by Moonraker

Search for "Knuts" on eBay (Collectables category) and you'll find seven or so old postcards featuring such gentlemen. Several of the cards depict soldiers.

Moonraker

I'm fairly sure that my grandfather trained as a signaller at Crowborough in 1918.

He'd been a Driver (Mules!) in 58 Divison Ammunition Column, then went to 1206 Bty. 

I'm sure his service record says RHA and RFA Signals School Crowborough.

Following this his rank changed from Driver to Signaller. He was discharged in 1919.

58 DM.

Just checked the service record for my grandfather - confirms posting to RH & RFA Signal Training Centre, Crowborough on 7 December 1918.

58 DM.

On 12/01/2020 at 23:41, Barbara B said:

Thank you so very much for replying. It adds a super new "layer" of interest to my postcard.

I thought you might be interested in this additional take on the k-nuts.  It’s a clever use of wordplay by a post-card artist to militarise the fashionable reference.

458B629C-EDAA-403F-91AC-AD09FC689AC8.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 4 years later...

The Canadian Engineers Training Depot was situated at Crowborough see war diary here https://recherche-collection-search.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/home/record?app=fonandcol&IdNumber=2004921&q=canadian engineers war diaries

One of my Blencowe family Troy Eugene Blinco Lance Corporal 2006569Canadian Engineers, a draughtsman before the war was there in 1917 before joining the Royal Air Force.