Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Debt of Honour Database - Problems?

Seadog

The point that CWGC are not unreasonably trying to make is that the completely uninitiated are unlikely to find their way to Geoff's Engine. As I've said before, the volume of users between the sites is also going to be completely different which means the required technical setups are also very different. Geoff simply doesn't have to support the volume of use that CWGC do. Their statement about testing comes from real life people using the site, they're not just making excuses. This is all down to decisions made when the data was first computerised, and in fact also how it was first recorded almost a century ago. Given it's the first time an exercise of commemoration on this scale was carried out (and I mean back during WWI and it's immediate aftermath), it's not surprising there are inconsistencies in how things are recorded (just look how many variations there are as to whether company is included for men who served with infantry regiments). The new search has thrown this into sharper relief, and I'd be surprised if CWGC aren't considering ways of dealing with it (there are also complications of the variation at different times in the WWI commemoration period as to Welsh/Welch and similar things which might throw an inexperienced researcher), but I'd imagine there's no budget to resolve it this year, and it will have to be planned in to future work

David

I think your post is excellent. There was, after a false start, a big move forwards in on-line access to the database, and there have been a number of incremental changes since the launch. These have been in response to the comments, queries and complaints that CWGC have received, as well as part of the natural wish to improve.

All the time the CWGC have to focus, where the database is concerned on the first time user, while trying to provide technical consistency for those who have linked to their records, and tools for the researcher with wider objectives. The download facility really does go a long way meet the need of the latter group.

I am sure that further refinements will come in the light of experience, but subject to the entirely realistic constraints of cost. I would love the search engine to cover all needs, but as you say, it is designed with the vast majority of users in mind. Those who need more, have unprecedented access to the core data, and it is not that difficult. That is a massive step forward.

Having said that, of course they will hopefully offer more developments, maybe even sufficient to satisfy Norman :whistle: , but they have moved a long way, in a relatively short time for a major institution.

Keith