Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andy Wade

Hello Everyone,

Normally people post wanting details of a man they're researching or at least help looking, but this is a case in reverse.

I have the medal index card for this man and his Service records and two very nice pictures of him (with his name and service no on the back of one of them), but sadly he's not a man connected with my project.

post-9980-0-05303600-1341175273_thumb.jp

What I'd like to do is offer this research to anyone who might be researching Saltburn men or Royal Engineers.

Why do I have this information?

A couple of years ago I received a photograph album at a history day I was attending from a very nice old lady who wanted it to go back to it's roper family, it was originally owned by a lady called Annie Chaplin of Haworth who died in the 1950's. I've now rehomed the original album intact to a relative, but not before I had scanned all the pictures in to my computer. Recently I have been going through the pictures of soldiers inside it to see what I can find out about them. I thought that they'd all been sent to Annie as she was the wife of Herbert Chaplin R.E. who served in WW1 but they might have just been mates of Herbert's and he'd collected them as well.

Anyway, there it is. If anyone wants the information and two really good pictures of this man it's all up for grabs. There may be more men as there were quite a few R.E. cap badges on show in the album and I have scanned them all. Sadly very few have names on the back though.

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy

There is a public tree on Ancestry with Lewis Leake Ward but no records of his army service or photo, I have sent a message to the owner and told him to join the forum to get the info.

Regards Barry

Many thanks for the heads up about the Ancestry tree, I've messaged him on the Ancestry PM service.

Cheers,

Andy.

• 7 years later...

Hi Rachel

Welcome.

I don't think Andy has been on the site for a couple of weeks, but  have sent him a message asking him to log on to see your post.

Rachel

Welcome.

You can see his Service Record on Ancestry.

Brian

Hi Everybody, Rachel got in touch with me through our Men of Worth Project website and she now has all the research and photographs of her Grandfather Sapper Lewis Leake Ward.

Delighted to get them back to the family.

For some reason I'm not getting notifications of messages sent to me. I probably turned them off by accident.

Andy,

None of us get notification of older (more than perhaps a year ??) threads that we started or contributed to. The result of an update some months back. Seemingly irreversable.

Well done on photos/research

Charlie