Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries Spreadsheets

jainvince

I am having to return to the earlier method of distributing the War Diary Spreadsheets. If you would like:
Royal West Kent
War Diaries Master List
then please PM me

I previously compiled a master list of WDs held in the National Archive but as another member is compiling a revised version I have ceased circulating the earlier one.

Please note an uptodate version of the spreadsheet is available.

Bernard

Bernard, I hope I speak for everyone when I express a heartfelt thanks to you for the effort you have put in to this project and updating and maintaining the list.

Very many thanks.

Chris

Bernard, I would very much like to second that! Thank you. Regards. JIM

Hi All.

Is anyone working on New Zealand WAr Diaries at all.

I have been working on NZMR diaries for a local forum especially those associated with Wellington Mounted Rifles Regiment as well as Freemasonry and New Zealand Mounted Rifles in Sinai and Palestine Masonic Association. What I am looking for is photos to go with the names. I have a photo of a group outside a Mosque taken on 6th april 1918 and can identify a few of the men. in that photo. Has anyone seen any other photos of men in uniform outside the Mosque in Jersualem from that period?

Thanks

Bernard, I hope I speak for everyone when I express a heartfelt thanks to you for the effort you have put in to this project and updating and maintaining the list.

Very many thanks.

Chris

Me too! That is a huge undertaking.

Hazel

Hi All.

Is anyone working on New Zealand WAr Diaries at all.

I have been working on NZMR diaries for a local forum especially those associated with Wellington Mounted Rifles Regiment as well as Freemasonry and New Zealand Mounted Rifles in Sinai and Palestine Masonic Association. What I am looking for is photos to go with the names. I have a photo of a group outside a Mosque taken on 6th april 1918 and can identify a few of the men. in that photo. Has anyone seen any other photos of men in uniform outside the Mosque in Jersualem from that period?

Thanks

Hi

May I suggest you start a new post to cover your topic, you stand a much better chance of getting a response. Perhaps it may be better under 'soldiers' or 'Units and Formations'.

Bernard

• 5 months later...

Hi Bernard,

I have several war diaries to make available. Should I list them here, or elsewhere, please?

Regards,

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Please could someone:

tell trainee village idiot if 18th Middlesex {Public Works Pioners] WD is available and, if so

tell said idiot how to access it please: date 22nd June 1916 relevant.

Many thanks ........ cannot see getting to London until the green of the spring, so if you get a chance ........... 21/22/23 June 1916 only.

A very interesting piece of collateral and conflict re. evidence at Red Dragon Crater on 22 June.

2nd RWF disparaging of 18th Middx, 18th Middx certainly in the action and lost men too.

Can anyone tell me how to find the 10th East kent regiment diary for october 1918

who cares if it's not online. i'll go to kew to look at it. I've been looking for that for ages. I praise you good sir

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bernard,

I have several war diaries to make available. Should I list them here, or elsewhere, please?

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Bernard,

Regards,

Brian.

H Hi Brian...dont suppose you would have the dairies for the 2nd batt Royal Irish Rifles for november 1917...fingers crossed...many thanks...Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for the war diary for the 10th Lan Fus WO 95/2012/1 52nd Inf Brigade 7/1915-19 Mar. I was unable to download from the national archives, and I didn't see them listed on the masterlist. Let me know if anyone has it. Thanks, Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Bernard,

Been trying to locate my late 1st cousin 2x Forbes Gatherum Hutt reg no 6398 who served in 2nd Batt. Gordon Highlanders and with your excellent spreadsheet located the reference number at national Archive and downloaded in 5 minutes. Thanks for your assistance.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you can order copies of war diaries now or at least you can for WO95/3153/2

• 2 weeks later...

I am advised in another post that the National Archive has not increased the WDs which are downloadable just yet so I am still able to email the list of those that are to members. Just PM me your email address

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

There was an announcement today on the National Archives site that all Unit War diary digitisation is now complete and all diaries are back in circulation - they can't give any indication of when they will be available for download, other than it will be "as soon as it is feasible before the centenary period begins."

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/830.htm

• 6 months later...

Bernard,

I have read through the years of messages on war diaries on this site and you do seem to have invested much time and effort in helping many enquirers. Well done mate. I am an Australian currently researching my paternal grandfather's life, and Great War service. I know that he enlisted into the 7th Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment in September 1914. I have learned that he was wounded twice before his discharge from the Battalion and then enlisted in the Labour Corps until the end of the war. There is a very good publication describing the movements and actions of the battalions of the RWKR (Aitchison) but as a former infantry soldier (Viet Nam) I am attempting to track my grandfather's postings within the battalion. I have some idea which Company was active and where but as many Infantryman knows, he is subject to be moved between Companies to supplement depleted ranks of experienced soldiers. As an obviously well informed veteran of this forum, do you consider that I am chasing shadows in my endeavours to track his internal postings? Finally, would you have any information on the RWKR, or even the 7th Battalion, would you make it available to me? My email contact is rod.london@bigpond.com. Once again, well done and a tip of my hat to you, Sir.

Cheers, Rod London

• 1 month later...

Jan 2014 and I am now potentially active again so will be updating the spreadsheetas and when information is available. So, if you have a war diary obtained since June 2013 can you list it on the forum and I will include on the spreadsheet. For those interested in receiving the spreadsheet, please PM me you email address and I will send a copy to you.

Bernard

I have Oct 1918 for the 54 CCS and if I scan it in I have Oct 1918 for the 10th Buffs if that is any help

Edited by PercyJamesFellows

• 1 month later...

I have 106 Field Coy RE (25th Div) for Jan 17 to Feb 18.

105 Field Coy RE (25th Div) May 1918 only

14 Bn Hampshire Regt Mar 1916 - Dec 1917

3rd Dragoon Guards Oct 1914 - Jan 1915

• 2 weeks later...

I have 119, 120 and 121 Inf Bde plus 17 and 18th Welsh, 19 RWF and 12 SWB, 12 N Staffs, 13 E Lancs, 13 R Innisk Fus, 21 Mddx, 13 E Surrey