Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian Soldiers records, how to access?

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I have a couple of named WW1 Belgian Army items and I have always wanted to research them more. Can any members here tell me if soldiers records have survived and if they have how do you access them? I know their names, regiments and where they were born. Would I need to know there service numbers?

Thanks for looking, I look forward to hearing your thoughts

Stewart

It all depends on the date of birth.Files on people born before 31/12/1888 are in the Brussels Army museum. Files after this date are still in the archives section of the Belgian army staff in Evere.

Hope this helps

Carl

Hello Jef,

Thank you for the link to the Golden Book. Infact I have found both the men I want to research listed in these books. It is a great resource.

Carl,

I am sorry to say that I do not know their dates of birth, how hard is it to research this information? Would it be possible to find them without this information?

Very many thanks for your help and assistance,

Regards,

Stewart

Hello Jef,

Thank you for the link to the Golden Book. Infact I have found both the men I want to research listed in these books. It is a great resource.

Carl,

I am sorry to say that I do not know their dates of birth, how hard is it to research this information? Would it be possible to find them without this information?

Very many thanks for your help and assistance,

Regards,

Stewart

Then you were lucky, Stewart. Only men who received the Fire Cross are mentioned in this book.

Concerning the birthdates, if you have the numbers of the soldiers, this would be a great help. If you want to know a mailaddress where you can do some enquiries, think I might be able to find one.

jef

Hello Jef,

I should have said that the named items I have are two Table medals given to Fire Cross holders, The same type of medal that appears on the cover of the Golden Book. I became interested in these medals when I bought a copy of the Golden Book in Ieper 2 years ago.

One of the medals was awarded to an Engineer the other to a member of the Grenediers. From the information held in the book is it possible to search for their service documents, or is it possible to research their dates of birth and then get copies of their files?

When I was in Brugge I was lucky to find a memorial card published in the 1930's which commemorated the deaths of 5 holders of the Fire Card. I am hoping to find an example of the Fire Card membership card sometime.

Thanks you for your help and advice,

Stewart

Hello Stewart,

With this link you see a lot of items which are related with Fire Card/medal/Cross: http://www.google.be/search?q=vuurkaart&hl=nl&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=X430T7O6H8Ta8AOwlcCABw&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQsAQ&biw=1268&bih=768

If you ever find the numbers of the soldiers you are interested in, try this adres: xavier.vantilborg@mil.be There is a good chance you will have the information you want. wish you succes.

with kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 03/07/2012 at 17:57, cdr said:

It all depends on the date of birth.Files on people born before 31/12/1888 are in the Brussels Army museum. Files after this date are still in the archives section of the Belgian army staff in Evere.

Hope this helps

Carl

Hi Carl,

Do you have any contact details for the Archive Section at Evere?  My google searches are coming up with nothing, but as it's a current military organisation, that's not too surprising. 

On 30/06/2012 at 17:56, gnr.ktrha said:

Hello,

I have a couple of named WW1 Belgian Army items and I have always wanted to research them more. Can any members here tell me if soldiers records have survived and if they have how do you access them? I know their names, regiments and where they were born. Would I need to know there service numbers?

Thanks for looking, I look forward to hearing your thoughts

Stewart

I have a complete list of all Belgian casualties, so if they died, PM me with their names and as much detail as possible.

7 minutes ago, healdav said:

I have a complete list of all Belgian casualties, so if they died, PM me with their names and as much detail as possible.

They can be searched online as well: https://www.wardeadregister.be/en

@Inverugie:

Personal military files

Many visitors are interested in family history and come to look for an ancestor in the Belgian armed forces. The RMM keeps the personal files of all officers born before 1900, as well as the files of non-commissioned officers and privates born between 1845 and 1888. The database of these files is online. Click here to check and for more information on what is kept where.

Consultation of files for officers born less than 120 years ago is subjected to authorization by the above mentioned documentation centre in Evere, where the files for officers born after 1900 are also kept.

Files for non-commissioned officers and privates born after 1888 are also kept in Evere.

Ministry of Defence – DGHR: HRG-A/N (Section “Notariat”)

Quarters Queen Elisabeth, rue d’Evere 1, 1140 Evere; arch@mil.be

(from https://klm-mra.be/en/archives )

Jan

if anyone needs an "insider" to get the archives, let me know ... I can drop by. 

M.

• 1 month later...

Marilyn’s - my great grandfather was in WWI and I would like to find what records are available. I can give you his info if you can go in person!

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Marilyne is still an active member of the forum, but she’s a very busy lady with her work. Hopefully, my tag will alert her to your post.

Michelle 

Thanks, @Michelle Young, for your consideration and the tag!!! I would have missed it... 

@AntwerpAmerican, you can always send me his data, and I'll check with the archives if they have his file. 

M. 

On 02/12/2022 at 17:51, Marilyne said:

if anyone needs an "insider" to get the archives, let me know ... I can drop by. 

M.

Hi Marilyne, can you also access records for Belgian soldiers in WW2?  A friend of mine is trying to find information on the service record of her grandfather, who served in the Free Belgian forces in the UK.  I assume he was originally in the Belgian Army in 1940 before making his way to the UK.  I know the archives are meant to reopen to the public in 2024, but if I could get something before then, it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

https://www.greatwarforum.org/profile/84394-marilyne/,

Marilyne, 

You might be interested in this newspaper clipping from the County Express of 28th November 1914.  It would be nice to think these lads all survived the war and went home with fond memories of Stourbridge.

Belgian soldiers at Sbrdge CX 28.11.14.pdf

Edited by John(txic)
Didn't know how to Tag; still don't...