Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
GavinH

HMS Egmont

GavinH

I have recently obtained a copy of a sailor's service record. This shows that he served on 'Egmont (SSV)' between 10 Dec 1917 and 16 Oct 1918. Can anyone tell me what or where this was. I have tried searching the internet, but have not had much luck. The name appears to have been used both by a submarine and a base in Malta! Also, I'd be interested to know what SSV stands for. It's not very clear on my copy, and it could conceivable read SSO.

Thanks for any help.

Gavin

Malcolm

HMS Egmont ( ex Achilles) launched 1863 was an accomodation ' hulk ' at Chatham from 1916. Name changed to HMS Egremont in June 1916 then to HMS Pembroke in 1919.

HMS Egmont ( ex Firefly) launched 1877 was Base ship at Malta from June 1916. Became a ' hulk' at Malta before being sold for scrap in 1931.

It is possible it was a Submarine base ship.

SSV stands for Special Service Vessel. The above are not listed as such in Dittmar & Colledge British Warships 1914-1919 but as Harbour Service ships.

Aye

Malcolm

GavinH

Malcolm,

Many thanks for your very helpful reply.

Regards

Gavin

Guest Northumberland

"HMS Achilles a Broadside ironclad built at Chatham Dockyard, HMS Achilles was a modified design of the Warrior. HMS Achilles was the largest Sail ship in the Royal navy at that time it was also the only four masted warship. laid down on the 1st August 1861, and launched on the 26th November 1863 and completed 26th November 1864. HMS Achilles seems to have been difficult to handle due to her size, but she maneuvered better than HMS warrior, in 1877 she became a barque rig and her sea going duties ended in1885, She became a base ship in 1902 and renamed HMS Hibernia, and her name changed again in 1904 to HMS Egmont, in 1918 she became HMS Egremont and her last change of name happened in 1919 as HMS Pembroke

Displacement: 9829 tons, Speed 14.32 knots. Compliment: 709 Armament: Twenty two 7-inch MLR and Four 8-inch MLR"

from: http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/achilles.htm which also has some photos of the vessel and her crews

GavinH

Thank you very much for the additional info and for the link. The photos are of particular interest. As a result of Malcolm's reply, I ordered a copy of British Warships 1914-1919. This has now arrived, and has answered a number of questions I had, but if ever a book needed an index it's this one!

Cheers

Gavin

Myrtle

I have just found a list of serving men from a September 1914 newspaper which mentions that my great uncle was with HMS Achilles in September 1914. I was therefore interested to learn from this thread that HMS Achilles was already known as HMS Egmont at that time. Does anyone know why HMS Achilles would have been mentioned ? Was HMS Egmont referred to as HMS Achilles even after the name change ?

I would appreciate some clarification on this one. <_<

Michael Lowrey

Myrtle,

Simple enough. The Royal Navy reuses names. Your great uncle served on the armoured cruiser HMS Achilles, a 13,550 ton vessel laid down in 1904 and completed in April 1907, not the earlier vessel that was renamed Egmont.

See also: http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/warr...#HMS%20Achilles

Best wishes,

Michael

Myrtle

Michael

Thank you very much for the information. It's only simple when you know the answers. Much appreciated. :)

Myrtle

David_Blanchard

This post may have gone cold some years ago but trying to find records from HMS Egmont- which may list RAMC men who served on her - would anyone know where I could obtain these? TNA?

horatio2

There are no records (i.e. nominal lists) of those who served in HMS EGMONT, the Malta Base

David_Blanchard

Trying to find out more about this man from Chambrecy Cemetery burial return T S Longbottom but I suspect it is this man Tom Longworth on Soissons Memorial- on the burial return HMS Egmont is mentioned- any help appreciated 

David

FC7C4326-EB66-49F5-87CC-A94922ED30B2.jpeg.f0725eaf3cccd120d767146434fe0095.jpegmetery 

5301998F-D99A-479A-92D7-73A2105E6B54.jpeg

David_Blanchard

This post may have gone cold some years ago but trying to find records from HMS Egmont- which may list RAMC men who served on her - would anyone know where I could obtain these? TNA?

Do you think it is possible to find a list of men from RAMC serving on HMS Britannic just before it was sunk in Nov 1916?

David_Blanchard

Thanks for list surprisingly no Thomas Longworth RAMC- mentioned in Blackburn newspaper as being there.

ECAA4515-824F-417C-A4A5-7BE68261B56F.jpeg

David_Blanchard

Thanks for this

Julian Portelli

Just found out my late grandfather served as ordinary seaman on hms egmont in the greatwar. Is it possible to find out the where abouts of this ship during this period?