Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Memorial, London

Michael Johnson

One of my collecting themes is "A Royal Fellowship of Death" - The Dead of the Royal Artillery 1914-18. The quotation appears on the Memorial by the sculpture of the dead Gunner.

If one of the members can get me some good photos of the Memorial, and especially that side, I would be highly appreciative. There are some excellent picture online, but I would like to have my own to use for displays, web postings, etc.

Thank you,

Michael Johnson

Michael,

I should be able to get there this weekend, if no-one else is going and no other pics are forthcoming.

You reminded me that I took some shots last time I was there (the really glorious weekend before the Jubilee celebrations) as I was pleased to see the scaffolding had finally come down. I took a shot of the dead Gunner and can see that the inscription at that point reads "A Royal Fellowship", with the corner clearly visible, so it must go all the way round. I only had my phone with me and I haven't got a cable to transfer it. If I can get it across I'll post it.

Louise

I have a photo of the memorial, and if I enlarge it the words "Here was" seem to be carved on the left hand side, so presumably "Of Death" is on the right side.

Martin

This is the one I was thinking of.

ETA - I did take one from the feet but didn't include the plinth. So I'm sure you're right, Martin. I'll make sure to get everything next time.

post-49061-0-19840100-1340747557_thumb.j

Michael,

Here are a couple of the shots which I took in 2010 (?)

I have checked through the rest and I do not seem to have included the full text which you wanted.

If you wish to use either of these, then let me know which and I will send you the full size file

By the way, have you noticed the rum jar? There is more detail on this monument than any other which I can think of

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

regards

Michael

Nice shots, Michael. Agree about the detail - I took the shot from the feet because I loved the hobnail boots. Unfortunately (in my personal opinion) they've spent a lot of time and money cleaning it up. It looks as though they may have replaced the inscribed stone in the plinth centrally beneath the figure. Think the scaffolding first went up last summer (I'd been keeping an eye on it as I wanted to get an image I could use to go in with a War Diary), with the promise that it would be ready by Remembrance Day - but it wasn't (though they must have temporarily removed all the clutter). It's been quite inaccessible: I've been back about once a month and took my shot on 26 May.

I think the dirt and grime give more texture and depth to the stonework, but I guess the pollution isn't good for it.

While looking at my photo last night I noticed that in the inscription below the left hand side of the howitzer the letter "T" seems to have been omitted from "SEVENTY". Can anyone confirm this? Photo taken in 2004, and is not terribly sharp.

Martin

Louise

Many thanks for your comments.

Martin,

Well spotted! I've never noticed that before

It's not missing completely. What they've done is put the horizontal of the 'T' over the right vertical of the 'N';

the word would not fit in otherwise

edit to add crop

P1010001.jpg

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Thank you all, especially Verrico2009. Unforunately my work computer blocks certain image sites, so I can't see them all right now.

Michael