Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Chambre Baldwin, WAFF & Nigeria Regt

corisande

Regular readers of the Sub-Saharan Forum will know that I am researching men who joined Auxilliary Division of RIC when they were demobilised, and that a number had served in Africa. And that my knowledge of the war if Africa is "sketchy"

This man is Lt Chambre Baldwin, and is another and I cannot get much on - - click for my notes including his MIC and LG entries . He was born in UK in 1884 and was in UK at 1901 census but not 1911

He appears from his MIC to have been in WAFF, Sierra Leone Battalion and Nigeria Regt.

The LG entries do not give much away, but he goes too and fro to UK at least a couple of time. LG shows another Baldwin whom I suspect is related in WAFF

This chap does not seem to return to Africa after WW1, but I cannot track him after he leaves Ireland

Can anyone add anything on him?

• 1 month later...
Guest james baldwin

he was my grandfather and your post probably says it all (for now). i knew he went to africa in the WAFF and he left me a chieftain's stoll from Ghana. it was rumoured he was in the Auxillieries bit i now see confirmation. after Ireland he went to ceylon with his brother as a tea planter and returned in the early thirties to start a tennis raquet company (Murray and Baldwin). he said he spent most of hois life "scrapping" and it was certainly varied. he came from a protestant ascendancy family from Cork. ironically his most successfull achievement was his son (my father) who became one of the most decorated 2nd WW pilots (Group Captain JR Baldwin). hope this helps

Thanks for that information, it all helps put together a picture.

I assume it was his brother James who went to Ceylon with him.

I see what you mean about your father - click and click - DSO and bar, DFC and bar, AFC

The Auxiliaries have such a record that many families do not know that their ancestors served with that unit. I am not trying to pass judgement on the ADRIC , but am trying to put together a picture of the men who served in it

Have you any idea what your grandfather did in WW2?

• 4 weeks later...

The History of the Sierra Leone Battalion of the Royal West African Frontier Force compiled by Lieutenant R.P.M. Davies confirms that Lt C Baldwin joined the battalion in 1915 (when the battalion was in the Cameroons) but there are no further mentions of his name.

Harry

Thanks Harry, I have added that snippet to my page on him