Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glengarry WW1?

mark holden

He should be on a charge:  unshaven on parade.  7-days field punishment.  Typical Territorial…

16 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

He should be on a charge:  unshaven on parade.  7-days field punishment.  Typical Territorial…

How dare you. Poor chap's probably done a full week's proper work before grabbing his kit and heading of to the Drill Hall. All very well for you regulars, sitting around all day with nothing to do but make yourselves look lovely.

And he'll back at work at 8.00 on Monday morning while you're still in barracks wondering how to fill your day.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

And he'll back at work at 8.00 on Monday morning while you're still in barracks wondering how to fill your day.

If only that were true.  Already up since Reveille at 06.00 and completed first parade by 08.00 more like it.....:P

Edited by FROGSMILE

Funny you should mention shaving, I remember a young lad from training. Only 17 years old, with a comic style desperate dan, type chin. Always getting being sent to the guard room, for a bit of punishment. He had to shave twice a day, his beard grew that quick. He did get picked on a bit. Poor lad.

Edited by Lammy

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

If only that were true.  Already up since Reveille at 06.00 and completed first parade by 08.00 more like it.....:P

And of to the pub by 12. It was like that in Paderborn. When not on exercise ***. Never smoked so many naafi fags, as I did then.

6 minutes ago, Lammy said:

And of to the pub by 12. It was like that in Paderborn. When not on exercise ***. Never smoked so many naafi fags, as I did then.

You’re obviously from a different generation…I don’t ever recall being dismissed on a weekday at noon.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 29/07/2021 at 08:53, Lammy said:

Well the 1900-1902 badge has arrived , and it is a perfect fit. Exactly the same lug spacing as the Scottish reserve badge.

Congratulations.  I would point out that the badge you now have mounted on the Balmoral is from 1908 onwards. Prior to 1908 there was an additional scroll attached below "2nd VOLR BATTN".  This in no way detracts from the bonnet as it is now constituted.

highland-light-infantry-volunteer-badge-1.jpg.fb85a9e81cf37ab97882738dc55a9894.jpg

Yes I had seen this badge. :)Also why I went with the later version , I think it fits better time wise, for the bonnet(which is what I will call it from know on. As atholl and balmoral is just to confusing). Although I now know the difference between a balmoral and a Tos.

Edited by Lammy

On 29/07/2021 at 15:50, Lammy said:

The first thing you see when entering my home. ***.

Has almost caused a few heart attacks.

Almost there now. 6 foot dummy , dressed as a gordon at the moment, awaiting HLI kilt to be delivered. Unfortunately the tunic is a 1922 pattern. Just waiting on the right one, to come along.20210715_203200.jpg.70811a8a6c5efb9cfe19046a78653031.jpg

All webbing is dated between 14-16. Non quillion dated 15 chapman bayonet.(quillion is awaiting pick up).

Oh yes, the SBR bag is post 1926 MkvI

the hypo is a repro.

Very nice display.  A minor point: To be entirely correct, the kilt pin should be straddling the second horizontal yellow line from the bottom.

1741943508_GHCaptMCww1.jpg.bcf3aefab71468b00f20e294f005bdd6.jpg

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

You’re obviously from a different generation…I don’t ever recall being dismissed on a weekday at noon.

Only happened in Germany. That all changed after the wall came down.

11 hours ago, gordon92 said:

Very nice display.  A minor point: To be entirely correct, the kilt pin should be straddling the second horizontal yellow line from the bottom.

Positioning of the kilt pin must be a study in itself. I can't off-hand recall the exact placing of ours, but it was somewhat lower, and (of course) not having stripes as a guide to placement, always open to discussion!

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Positioning of the kilt pin must be a study in itself. I can't off-hand recall the exact placing of ours, but it was somewhat lower, and (of course) not having stripes as a guide to placement, always open to discussion!

That’s assuming they can see over their stomachs where to place the pin.  More like grope and guess wasn’t it Steven? :whistle:

DCFF4E1C-865E-46BE-9BD7-CCD6E3A635D0.jpeg

D2CE9589-DDD2-4EB8-A138-5B40BC1400D4.jpeg

Fine body of men.

36 minutes ago, Lammy said:

*** . Look like enough material for the whole battalion.

I was jesting really.  They were one of the better units of Saturday Night Soldiers and, tragically, died in their droves at Loos in 1915.  Rather like the BEF, there were few of their originals (as seen in these photos) left by 1916.  They were sacrificial lambs expended on the altar of expediency whilst Kitchener’s New Armies were being raised and trained.

38BF46E6-E959-4A9C-8726-AF98E7631E8D.jpeg

F01B5E63-44B3-4473-A25C-97E7E2B0369A.jpeg

CC8829B3-B068-48F6-B799-66C29075DA86.jpeg

E126F805-7323-4FCA-93F9-E22E43609324.jpeg

1207C91C-70A1-48D0-8576-C4F485213376.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The youth of today , would never Volunteer  for another war. That is for sure. Sad times. I was lucky enough to be able to grow up , with a few family members and family friends , that had lived through and experienced 2 world wars. Have lots of family photos, but sadly very few stories.

Edited by Lammy

4 hours ago, Lammy said:

The youth of today , would never Volunteer  for another war. That is for sure. Sad times. I was lucky enough to be able to grow up , with a few family members and family friends , that had lived through and experienced 2 world wars. Have lots of family photos, but sadly very few stories.

What's sad about that? 

I'd be proud of my sons for refusing to 'volunteer'. 

Why on earth would they want to go off to maybe die for what some rotten politicians in London or Washington want?    

Edited by Ron Abbott

15 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I was jesting really.  They were one of the better units of Saturday Night Soldiers and, tragically, died in their droves at Loos in 1915.  

'One of the better ...' :o

I've had to defend the your pipes and drums before Steven from someone making remarks about size and age- I think he thought they were reenactors. I enlightened him about Messines. In Memory of Theodore Laing KIA 01 Nov 1914. Regards, Paul.

London Scottish Glengarry.  I am not when it dates from but it does demonstrate the practical use that Wound Stripe backing plates can be put to.

Mooooore 011.JPG

Mooooore 012.JPG

Mooooore 014.JPG

Mooooore 017.JPG

Mooooore 015.JPG

Edited by high wood

It’s a very nice example, thank you for posting it.

The low crown of the glengarry suggests Great War/Interwar period.