Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1912 certificate "To defend the liberty of his country"

Chris_Baker

I've been sent a photocopy of a certificate. It is in a really poor state and crucially the name of the recipient is completely illegible. I'm hoping that someone can tell me what it is.

The certificate has at the top the flags of all nations with the motto "United we stand". The flags seem to include GB, France, Ireland (harp). In front of them is a shield bearing the harp.

The text is "This is to certify that" .... "of" ... "entered on active service to defend the liberty of his country".

Then entered in handwriting is "in the year 1912" and "Private, 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers".

Finally "Issued by the Central Council for the Organisation of Recruiting in Ireland".

Now this is with a discharge certificate of a man who is shown to have enlisted into the Rotal Munster Fusiliers on 6 July 1904. He is given by his later details of 62416 James Doyle of the 14th (Transport Workers) Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment. This man landed in France with the 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers on 13 August 1914, so I am assuming the certificate relates to him. The "of" placename is his home town of Rathdram in Wexford.

[EDIT: I've found one online at http://www.flickr.co...N03/4591812196/]

But he would have been on reserve (probably) in 1912. Was he mobilised? Why? Is this something to do with events in Ulster in 1912?

And wasn't the Central Council for the Organisation of Recruiting in Ireland created later?

By the way the one part of this document that is clear is the date of 1912!

First World War Certificate: An attractive colour printed form, by Thom. of Dublin, with manuscript insertions, stating that Richard Adderley of Dublin entered on Active Service to defend the Liberty of his Country, 24 August 1914, as a Private in Royal Dublin Fusilier's; and died of dysentery 19th October, 1915, approx. 31cms x 22cms (12 1/4" x 8 3/4"), issued by Central Council for Recruiting in Ireland. V. good. (1)

Sold for €150

http://www.adams.ie/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=7019&LotRef=299

• 3 months later...
Guest jasonadderley@eircom.net

Hello , the Richard Adderley on the Cert was my great grandfather. I came across this item on the Adams site only a few months after it had been sold at auction. I wrote to Adams to see if they could pass my details to the buyer but to no end....

I had only the year before uncovered the story of my great grandfather and even travelled to his resting place on the island of Lemnos, Greece.

Jason.

Jason sorry to hear you missed out on the Cert.

My brother-in-law has one of the certs for his grandfather who served with the Royal Artillery , he was from Dublin and survived the war he had also served with Royal Dublin Fusiliers militia. i cant remember the dates on it.