Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Cameo final demise

temptage

I have been trying to find details relating to the crew of the SS Cameo (GY 754) which was requisitioned during WW1 and was operating as an armed trawler until it ran aground on the East coast of Scotland on Friday 24th December 1915.

All the crew died.

Earlier the same year, it has been attacked by a U-boat, fortunately not torpedoed, but shot at by the guns on board. I dare say it gave back as good as it got with it having guns fitted on board.

Is the fact that none of the crew have been commemorated by the CWGC because they are classed as Merchant Navy or Fishing Fleet? Or could it be that it was 'just' because they ran aground and that it was nothing to do with warfare at the time? Maybe both?

I have a photo of a grave stone with a memorial to one of the crew on it, which is what started me looking for these details.

Help very much appreciated

You probably have all this and none of it answers your questions but just in case...

JULY 1915

North Sea

Cameo, Admiralty trawler, 172/1898, Hull-reg, hired 2/15, 1-12pdr (ap - 3pdr), Skipper Albert Sayers, on patrol with trawlers Sea Ranger and Eastward Ho!, all Peterhead-based. July - Cameo sighted U-boat, headed in its direction and was fired at, returned fire and hit three times, Eastward Ho! came up and submarine headed away on the surface; skipper wounded and awarded DSC, gunner the DSM (D/ap)

SS CAMEO built by Mackie & Thomson Govan,

Yard No 188

Engines by Muir & Houston, Glasgow

Propulsion: T.3Cy 55 rhp

Launched: Saturday, 05/03/1898

Built: 1898

Ship Type: Steam Trawler

Ship's Role: Fishing

Tonnage: 175 grt

Length: 110 ffet

Breadth: 21 feet

Owner History:

Kingston Steam Trawling Company, Hull.

1919:Benjamin Knowles, Hull.,

Hollinwood Steam Trawling Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.

Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.,

Holderness Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull.

1935:Richard Bettess, Fleetwood.

Remarks:

Previous update by Bruce Biddulph.

O.N. 109027. Completed May 1898.

The following data and post war service owners from John Ward McQuaid

02/1915: Requisitioned for war service as HMS Cameo and converted for minesweeping.

09/1918; Returned.

10/1953: Sold to BISCO.

1954:Broken up by Ward at Barrow in Furness.

Photo supplied by John Ward~McQuaid

post-51557-0-01424300-1340227686_thumb.j

Here's a list of the crew from:http://homepage.ntlw...wlers/lostc.htm

GY.754 Cameo. Ran aground on the East coast of Scotland on Friday 24th December 1915.

T. W. Kew. | S. R. Marshall. | A. Haste. | A. Boasright. | F. Fowler. | G. Heath. | J. Ferguson. | J. Cox. | A. Brandie. | A. Bird. | C. Brusning. | H. Banks.

What's going on here is that there were two trawlers named Cameo and there’s some confusion between them:

1. Cameo (GY 754), 230 grt, ON 121616, built 1906 by Smiths Dock Co Ltd, North Shields, owned by W. Alnutt, Grimsby, ran aground on December 24, 1915.

2. Cameo (H 394), 172 grt, ON 109027, built 1898 by Mackie & Thomson, Govan, in Admiralty service 1915-1919. See also this page.

The Cameo from Hull was taken into RN service and was damaged by a shell hit from U 19 on July 16, 1915. Th crew of Cameo from Grimsby aren’t in the CWGC database because the vessel/crew weren't in RN service and the loss was not war-related.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks Michael. Thats sorted that one out!

• 7 years later...

my grandmothers brother LEONARD JOHN COE was to the family a fisherman, trawler Cameo, i only have his photo & funeral card as evidence, would i be correct in my research. Cameo ran aground of the Scottish coast.  As his funeral memorial card state his death by drowning, 24th December 1915.  

it would be nice to hear from anyone with sound knowledge, is there a memorial?

LeonardCoe1893-1915.jpg.ea8464a200afa5f5ac09cdd9d7b4e6a1.jpg 

leonardCoeCameoCard1915.jpg

The entry in BT 344 Deaths at Sea reads:

Coe, Leonard John
age 23 born Halstead, last address 121 Stirling St, Grimsby
Deckhand
Cameo, 121616, Milford, 81 Ton
24/12/15 Off Rattray Head, supposed drowned, ship wrecked

Charlie

edit-  PS  Welcome to the Forum Barry

Edited by charlie962
spelling

There’s also a report of the vessel’s stranding in The Times published 27th December 1915.

5 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

There’s also a report of the vessel’s stranding in The Times published 27th December 1915.

Most national and regional newspapers carried reports including lists of those died.