Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anchors recovered from arms-smuggling vessel scuttled in plan to aid E

Story

Found elsewhere, related -

A rifle smuggled into Northern Ireland nearly a century ago by the old UVF has been uncovered in a Belfast attic in pristine condition.

The gun, believed to be a M1904 Mannlicher rifle smuggled in during the Larne gun-running of April 1914, was found in the roofspace of the house alongside a small pistol — and bullets for both guns.

Not sure how its related since these guns were not smuggled during the war and not in support of Irish independence - quite the contrary.

I am at a bit of a loss to know how a failed gun running attempt and the failure of casement can be considered "important" to Irish history. Perhaps an "importamnt failure"?

I would imagine that artefacts from the "Aud" would be sought after by some people in Ireland. The anchors would make fine public monuments and maybe would help to educate people about that period of Irish history. While it was a failed enterprise some would consider it important,which is not unusual as failed endeavours and escapades are sometimes elevated to a status of importance for other ends and sometimes to reflect a differing view.

I am at a bit of a loss to know how a failed gun running attempt and the failure of casement can be considered "important" to Irish history. Perhaps an "importamnt failure"?

perhaps not important to some but certainly something out of the Audinary......

perhaps not important to some but certainly something out of the Audinary......

Sergeant! put up a triangle and have that man flogged on it :rolleyes:

Many would consider the 1916 Rising as the first battle of the War of Independence, many of the prominent leaders of the War of Independence were involved in the Rising or educated in the University of Revolution, Frongoch. Had the Aud been successful I don’t think it would have had made much difference to the outcome of the Rising but I think the Rising did influence many Home Rule supporters to change to supporting full independence. And I suppose it is ironic in a way, it will probably be German money that pays to have the anchors erected in a public place.

I don’t think it would have had made much difference to the outcome of the Rising but I think the Rising did influence many Home Rule supporters to change to supporting full independence.

More the treatment of its leaders afterwards than the rising itself.