Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC at work

Chris_Baker

Right now that's out of the way ! Are we happy a bloke who wrote episodes of Lovejoy is directing a Great War documentary?

Producer, not director :)

Sure, why not?

I agree , when I spoke to the guy he was very committed and very knowledgeable of his subject , in fact the research in to his Love Joy Episodes were more extensive than many of today's documentry makers .

Having read one of the Lovejoy books, the producer created a much improved version.

Kath.

Seriously, though, if it is Paxo I'll be perfectly happy. I suspect it will be one those programmes the BBC actually manages to do very well.

The series you mention is 50 years old and modern research and knowledge has taught us much more. Additionally, the techniques and camera usage of those times makes the programmes look rather dated: if this programme is to appeal to a new audience, then I fear we have to accept modern techniques will be needed.

The 50 year-old programme is also monochrome: colour film of the battlefields today will also be slightly more attractive, I suspect.

I know I am a dreadful cynic in these things (hence my original post), but on this one I am actually ready to hope. BBC4 has been doing some splendid historical documentaries with proper historians: the BBC can still do it, and so long as they avoid a sleb presenter, let's wait and see.

Just not Dan Snow, please.

With John Terraine very sadly unavailable, I expect the BBC to recall Corelli Barnett even if this may give us a sense of déjà vu. Adding in Peter Simkins, John Bourne and Gary Sheffield with a touch of Brian Bond and Chris Baker (why not) might mean that we get a decent programme. As the Paxo ball seems to be already rolling and hopefully gathering moss, we will just have to await Z Hour.

Ian

Read a book review for a title called something like 'The Home Front in the Great War' by a chap whose last name is Bilton and the review claims that he is working with BBC on the centenary project.

How true that is only time will tell.

Maxi

With John Terraine very sadly unavailable, I expect the BBC to recall Corelli Barnett even if this may give us a sense of déjà vu. Adding in Peter Simkins, John Bourne and Gary Sheffield with a touch of Brian Bond and Chris Baker (why not) might mean that we get a decent programme. As the Paxo ball seems to be already rolling and hopefully gathering moss, we will just have to await Z Hour.

Ian

As Bromers says the BBC can still make excellent history programs, witness the one on the middle east and Stalin by David Reynolds. The tankies one was good but missed the point about the German 5 man crew versus the 4 man crew used by the British was of significant importance. Don't forget Paul Reed will be involved. I'm all for allowing Dan Snow one 30 minute program in 4 years on the Great War at the start so we can understand and benchmark how bad, bad really is.

Re: The comment about Munitions factory at Coventry- the Beeb could look at ROF Chorley.

ROF Chorley was one of the biggest munitions factory in the world and having been sold off is now rapidly becoming one of the largest `new` settlements in Europe and now known as Buckshaw Village.

Work on the WW2 bouncing bombs was carried out there- about a stones throw from my house.

• 2 years later...

Spent pre Christmas drinks with a bloke who produces documentaries ,and he was commenting on the coming commeration events , one possible documentary he is working on is on the Bantams in the Great War , so far so good apart from in a previous life he wrote scripts for Lovejoy ! Bodes well ?

I just remembered this post. Does anyone know whether the Bantams documentary ever happened, or if it's still planned?