Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC at work

Chris_Baker

Snippet from an email received today ...

"With the anniversary of 2014 fast approaching - the BBC are filming next week as part of a 4 hour documentary on Britain & the Great War, to be broadcast in 2014"

I hope for goodness sake it is not Marr. His Britain in the 20thC series were very shaky in some of its judgements. At least Paxo did a good documentary on Wilfred Owen and a decent recent series on Empire.

Probably Fearne Cotton

How did you know that? it was supposed to be a closely guarded secret. Still now you have as it were “let the cat out of the bag” here are some details:-

Working Title:

Up at the Front – the like big war ??? - 1930

Fearne will travel the Western Front on a bicycle meeting and interviewing interesting people along the way, including that well-known historian Graham Norton and other experts such as Jedward plus a lady who is knitting a complete tapestry of the war to rival that old one in Bayucks or somewhere like that. Many veterans will accompany Fearne some of which were actually at D-day in um, 1954. That favourite of the forces Beyonce is recording an up-beat rap version of “It’s a long way to (somewhere)” and the whole show will end with a grand flotilla of boats and things.

Norman

BBC London

PS – LATEST: Lord Sir Julian Fellowes CBE DSO (Bart) is preparing a 48 episode re-imagining of the war for broadcasting on DAVE in 2034.

Seriously, though, if it is Paxo I'll be perfectly happy. I suspect it will be one those programmes the BBC actually manages to do very well.

...Beyonce is recording an up-beat rap version of “It’s a long way to (somewhere)”

I believe the word you are looking for is Tanqueray®...

:angry2:

-Daniel

PS I have a pal who is embedded with the BBC, and could make an inquiry...

Seriously ?, what`s up Steven. Anyway have not the BBC already produced the best documentary on WW1 "The Great War" which the Daily Mail gave away as free DVDs a little while back. Plus in my opinion the CH4 series "Not Forgotten" introduced by Ian Hislop was one of the very few to feature so-called ordinary people. What do we think the BBC can bring to yet another WW1 documentary and 4 hours in duration!.

Norman

Norman

Why don't you just wait and see?

Roger

I think there's a lot to bring. The series you mention is 50 years old and modern research and knowledge has taught us much more. Additionally, the techniques and camera usage of those times makes the programmes look rather dated: if this programme is to appeal to a new audience, then I fear we have to accept modern techniques will be needed.

The 50 year-old programme is also monochrome: colour film of the battlefields today will also be slightly more attractive, I suspect.

I know I am a dreadful cynic in these things (hence my original post), but on this one I am actually ready to hope. BBC4 has been doing some splendid historical documentaries with proper historians: the BBC can still do it, and so long as they avoid a sleb presenter, let's wait and see.

Just not Dan Snow, please.

God forbid

And not an excuse for some BBC animators to show off producing "clever" graphics that actually don't really tell us much.

No, no. This is Cynics United. Miserable Barstewards are three doors down.

Have I stumbled into a branch of the Miserable Barstewards Club here? :w00t:

Yes. Either that or they have a collective psychic ability to critique a programme before it has been aired or even completed. Well weird, but clever :w00t:

Caryl

To be honest, I thought I was actually being supportive.

As long as it's not Dan Snow, that's all.

• 2 months later...

Well, one can only hope that they remember that it was a WORLD War and go film somewhere a bit more adventourous than just France and Flanders. Recently a Belgian documentary film crew ventured out to Macedonia and their country were not even involved in the campaign in the Balkans bewteen 1915 - 1918!!!

ALAN

I think some local programmes maybe brewing as well, received an email from the BBC asking about the locations of munitions factory in Coventry for a 100th anniversary programme. As the Ministry of Munitions spend £40,500,000 in the City.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Snow might appeal to the masses and do a fair job. We 'experts' are a difficult lot to please. I once, by chance, met his father who was on the ground, making a film for Irish TV as far as I recall.

Old Tom

• 1 month later...