Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Marine Flanders Cross

Khaki

I wonder if the first Durchbruchsschlacht is for the advance during the gas attack??

post-55705-0-93551900-1341109431_thumb.j

L.F.

A very impressive collection, thanks for sharing,have any more related items?

Regards

Bob R.

L.F.

thanks for sharing,have any more related items?

Regards

Bob R.

Bob,

These particular items are not from my Collection, I am posting the images as part of the overall theme of khaki's thread - The Marine Korps Flandernkreuz.

I am pleased you are enjoying seeing them.

Regards,

LF

I wonder if the first Durchbruchsschlacht is for the advance during the gas attack??

You may be right, I have yet to find the date of, or the reason for, the awarding of the Durchbruchsschlacht Bar ?

Regards,

LF

post-55705-0-66919500-1341117946_thumb.j

I have been searching also, but no luck so far attached Naval Wound Medal that came with my Flanders Cross, too bad the Germans did not name their medals, would be some interesting stories to research?? regards

Bob R.

German Marine Sturmtruppen.

LF

is the fixed bayonet held by the Marine, third man standing from the left, a shortened 98/05 or are my eyes deceiving me.

khaki

...is the fixed bayonet held by the Marine, third man standing from the left, a shortened 98/05 or are my eyes deceiving me....

The fullers stop at about the right place for a regular 98/05 and the shape/width of the blade tip looks fine, but in all the shortened (i.e., 'Turked') 98/05's I have seen the fuller grove continues to a blade tip/point that is the same width as the rest of the blade. Added to which I have never seen or heard of shortened 98/05's in German use. So, no, I don't think it has been shortened. I think it is an optical illusion, the bayonet leaning at an angle towards or away from the photographer. What I find more fascinating, though, is that the guy on the right has a long quillback bayonet on his rifle!

Trajan

Thanks Trajan,

I am sure that you are right, just an illusion. Yes, I did notice the quillback, it makes for a really interesting photograph.

khaki

• 9 months later...

Yesterday I was at a show and I purchased the German veterans medal, the oval one, Kyffhauserbund?? not sure on the name anyway it had the crossed swords emblem and two bars VERDUN, FLANDERN u.ARTOIS.nice parade mounted medal with separate ribbon bar.

khaki

As it is not listed in the book "Orden & Ehrenzeichen 1800 - 45" by Jörg Nimmergutt

its an unofficial award / pruchase by German Naval veterans who "fought on the ground."

There are copies / fakes of the Spangen being flogged out there as well.

The one pictured in post 12 has at some stage been broken off its ribbon Ose mounting ring

and has had the arm of the cross drilled to re-hang it.

One version I have seen has the Kreigsmarine Naval flag hand-painted.

It falls in to the category of:-

the "Kyffershauserbund Veterans Service Medal"

"German Legion of Honour Service Medal."

The various enameled Campaign Medals.

etc..

• 9 years later...

my flanders marine medal

and postcard dated 1916

i believe proceeds from the post card went to help the injured soldiers 

trevor

flanders.jpg

DSCF3879.jpg

DSCF3877.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have a Marine Korps Flanders Cross with four bars, two of which I would appreciate information on: LOMBARDZYTH and HET-SASS STEENSTRADE. Both bars are flat as oppesed to the 

normal cast bars, have integral pins on the reverse as in the standard bars. However, the above names are impressed or engraved in the bar. Perhaps there are custom-made bars by or for the veteran to reflect some action he took part in.

Any opinions or information will be most appreciated.

JBM