Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Saluting

daggers

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

. At the other end of the spectrum I think I've also seen Sgt Wilson doing it in Dad's Army!

Most sergeants would consider the end of the spectrum to be far below them!

John Le Mesurier was A Captain in the Royal Tank Regiment so would have known how. Possibly he didn't think Capt Mainwaring deserved more?:thumbsup:

I remember, in 1980 at Camp in Thetford, I had the task of driving our Compny Commander around in a Land Rover. Nice chap, if a little punctilious, he insisted on returning salutes while seated in the front passenger seat of the Rover as we (I) drove through the camp. My left arm had a series of bruises from where he whacked his elbow into my upper arm so frequently.

The RSM from 5/8 Kings: Regular of TA?

I'm guessing not

Delicacy and consideration in such matters were not particularly noteworthy among Nazis.

Ron

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Delicacy and consideration in such matters were not particularly noteworthy among Nazis.

Ron

10 out of 10 for punctilliousness, though.

14 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I remember, in 1980 at Camp in Thetford, I had the task of driving our Compny Commander around in a Land Rover. Nice chap, if a little punctilious, he insisted on returning salutes while seated in the front passenger seat of the Rover as we (I) drove through the camp. My left arm had a series of bruises from where he whacked his elbow into my upper arm so frequently.

The RSM from 5/8 Kings: Regular of TA?

Steven

The RSM would have been posted in from a regular battalion. In this case very likely from 1 Kings. I will see if I can find his name, a long time friend of mine said that he had it in for him. so I don't know what was happening there......

Bob

Of course during WWI you saluted with the hand furthest away from the officer - or at least until c. July 1918; General Jack in his diary commented re the Army Order: It has been suggested that our altering the hand salute of the Army in the midst of critical operations did much to break the enemy's heart, the Germans considering, no doubt, that it was useless to continue the struggle against an opponent who had energy to spare for such trifles.

Edited by nigelcave