Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Saluting

daggers

How did the separate salutes of the Royal Navy (and once of the Police) and the Army and Royal Air Force evolve?

D

Now there is saluting and there is saluting ..........

As a soldier is progressing through the ranks they do get modified of course

British Fire Service salute apparently evolves from Royal Navy officers and men which predominently provided recruits in the early days of formal fire brigades

• 6 years later...

I am sure that I have seen soldiers giving a salute that seems to be at variance from the standard version described above, for example with the fingers pointing almost straight up.I had assumed that different units may have a slightly different salute, perhaps for reasons of tradition. Could any military experts enlighten me, please? 

Also, watching The Dambusters there is a scene with three RAF officers in a room, two wearing caps and one (the senior) not. The junior officers saluted the superior, but he did not return the salute, presumably due to his lack of headgear. I believe that in the Royal Navy hats are not worn indoors, but perhaps the RAF is different?

RAF? Saluting? How terribly common.

Whilst the Dambusters was on, another channel had World's Stongest Man.  

One of the contestants was ex Russian Marine and wore his beret. He kept saluting eveyone which became quite annoying after the first few seconds.

To be honest he looked more like Benny Hill,  (one of Eastleigh's finest!).

Alan.

Longest way up ... shortest way down. It's the only way.

Acknown

Up, two-three...wiggle, two-three...down, two-three!

12 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Up, two-three...wiggle, two-three...down, two-three!

Sounds like a sex guide.

Would it be acceptable for a senior officer to salute in a more casual manner? There is a photo of Douglas Haig saluting with his fingers pointing to the sky. 

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Would it be acceptable for a senior officer to salute in a more casual manner? There is a photo of Douglas Haig saluting with his fingers pointing to the sky. 

Senior officers may regard it as acceptable, the Warrant Officers, Senior Non Commissioned Officers and Other Ranks less often so, indeed many would regard it as a bit fey and a response unworthy of the person who saluted them.

Edited by green_acorn

is it true that a recipient of the VC doesn't have to salute any one not even an officer, BUT I bet he has to salute her maj 

This photo taken c.1983, the location I do not know shows the RSM of 5/8 Kings (V). Notice how high the salute is, as I remarked on 11 June 2012 there is saluting and saluting, obviously this the RSM's interpretation.

Scan0043.jpg

It’s worth pointing out that these photographs of non-standard salutes may just be a matter of the photographer pressing the button before the movement was completed.

'Wrong' is a very finite word - idiosyncrasies creep in, sometimes accentuations promoted by unit pride! What is important though, is the mutual respect that the salute signifies. Both saluter and saluted should look each other in the eye and salute in a courteous manner. Both parties should indicate that the salute is valued. 

Acknown

10 minutes ago, pierssc said:

It’s worth pointing out that these photographs of non-standard salutes may just be a matter of the photographer pressing the button before the movement was completed.

I do agree and would anticipate the hand of the RSM is in the downwards direction. The officer - who I think I recognise is well braced up - good show!

For officers there is a correct RMAS way, but in time the salute evolves into a thing of sartorial beauty. 

Thanks for your comments gents; much appreciated. So it seems that Haig's "fingers up" salute had no significance beyond the fact that an officer of his rank could salute pretty much however he wished. At the other end of the spectrum I think I've also seen Sgt Wilson doing it in Dad's Army!

59 minutes ago, sassenach said:

an officer of his rank could salute pretty much however he wished

Quite! As my final remark on this subject (hooray), and in my opinion, any officer who attempts to salute 50 soldiers in the 'RMAS way' as they pass him one after another in a busy street will probably get tennis elbow, at least. A more relaxed but equally respectful compromise is a natural evolution.

Acknown