Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disaster at Allonville 31st May 1918

moggs

bonjour,

in Saint Gratien (very near to Allonville), there is an exhibition of water colours by 3 artists who stayed at the château de Saint Gratien. But it lasts only 10 days (ends May 1st) : https://www.chateau-st-gratien.com/

kind regards from the Somme, martine

Further Moggs...

FYI... My Grandfather 1770 Eric Herman, was in the 4th Reos to 7th Bn, Gallipoli 26 May til wounded at Lone Pine, transferred to 4th Div HQ about April 1916. His Brother 3800 Joseph Herman was 8 Bn, got to Egypt late 1915, missed Gallipoli, but transitioned through 14 Bn to 4th Div HQ , presumably "claimed" by his brother. Their older brother Albert joined later still and was in 4th Field Ambulance.

Cheers,

Matt

12 hours ago, gwandalan said:

Further Moggs...

FYI... My Grandfather 1770 Eric Herman, was in the 4th Reos to 7th Bn, Gallipoli 26 May til wounded at Lone Pine, transferred to 4th Div HQ about April 1916. His Brother 3800 Joseph Herman was 8 Bn, got to Egypt late 1915, missed Gallipoli, but transitioned through 14 Bn to 4th Div HQ , presumably "claimed" by his brother. Their older brother Albert joined later still and was in 4th Field Ambulance.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt.  Of course, by that stage of the war the 14th were a part of the 4th Division so that makes sense.  I was interested in whether any had been a part of the 14th because none of their names appear in the lists compiled for the reprint of Rule's "Jacka's Mob".  These lists are extensive in the first place and if any others should be in it then the compilers need to know.

Thanks  for your continued feedback, especially on what happened there recently.  Nice to know the community is celebrating the men.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon,

Are we able to have a chat by 'phone?

Cheers,

Matt

I'll PM with details.

• 1 month later...

It was a hundred years ago this morning when the shells struck the barns at Allonville with such a devastating outcome.  

May all of the men who were killed at the time or later died of wounds rest in peace.  

May they be remembered for their service as much as for their sacrifice.

1668a Albert Robert Anderson

A company, 1st shell

6221 Charles Ballis

A company, 1st shell

1868 Leonard Best

A company, 1st shell (DOW 4/6/1918 5th CCS)

4760 Sydney Ernest Beverley

A company, 1st shell

5344 Cpl Patrick Brennan

A company, 1st shell (DOW 31/5/1918 20th CCS)

2152 Thomas Brinkworth

A company, 1st shell

2240 Robert Delaney

A company, 1st shell

1805 Henry William Delora

A company, 1st shell (DOW 13/6/1918 2/1st Southern Hospital, Birmingham)

5764 Leopold Arthur Downey

A company, 1st shell

1872 L/Cpl. John Herbert Dunn

A company, 1st shell

5682a Alwyn Morris Evans

A company, 1st shell (DOW 31/5/1918 10th FA)

231 Albert V Green

A company, 1st shell (DOW 31/5/1918 5th CCS)

266 Lawrence Hustler

A company, 1st shell

7522 Charles Edward Leigh

1383 L/Cpl. Robert Mann

A company, 1st shell

55a Norman McLeod

A company, 1st shell

2491 John Claude Mills

A company, 1st shell (DOW 31/5/1918 at 4th FA)

3442 Frank Newbold

A company, 1st shell (DOW 8/6/1918 3rd Stationary Hospital, Rouen)

7588 George Walter Powell

A company, 1st shell

1734 George Walter (Dick) Radnell

A company, 1st shell (DOW 1/6/1918 20th CCS)

5757 George Ray

A company, 1st shell

4877 George Valentine Reddish

2730 Arthur Thomas Riley

A company, 1st shell

7080 Albert Edward Smith

6612 Leslie Egbert Joshua Witcombe

A company, 1st shell (DOW 31/5/1918 5th CCS)

542 Patrick Joseph Barrett

C company, 2nd shell (DOW 31/5/1918 5th CCS)

7342 Bertie George Englert

C company, 2nd shell

602 L/Cpl. Hugh Albert Graham Kent (Signaller)

A company, 2nd shell

6126 Richard Madigan

C company, 2nd shell

7606 William Wootton

C company, 2nd shell

Lest we forget

Well done Moggs! and thank you!

I had literally been talking to a colleague of mine this morning about this story and it dawned on me that 100 years ago, right then, it was all about to unfold.

That sent a shiver up my spine!!

And the photo of my Grandpa on the wall here was taken 100 years ago today too.

Always remembered, we will never forget!

• 5 months later...

On 17/11/2018 at 00:56, Elsa80 said:

Hello,

I would like to know the name of the 2 soldiers buried to Vignacourt, Do you know their names?
https://www.facebook.com/VignacourtHistory 

Thank you. Best regards. Isabelle

Hi Isabelle,

Buried at Vignacourt

5344 Cpl. Patrick Brennan aged 27 A company  DOW 31/5

1734 George Walter Radnell aged 21 A company  DOW 1/6

All the best

Jonathan

Edited by moggs

• 1 month later...

Hi Red and welcome to the forum.

Yes, the barns have been found as much as anything can be.  Thanks to the generosity of a few people both on the forum and in Allonville itself there is good evidence of their original whereabouts and current existence (albeit replaced).

Thanks for asking.

Jonathan

PS.

If, however, you have extra information or news, I would always be grateful to see it.

Hello Jonathan,  I was with a group of 6 that visited Allonville Cemetery on 24 April prior to going to Villers Bret Dawn Service.  One of my groups Gt Uncle was Leo Downey of the 14th , 1st explosion I believe. After leaving the Cemetery we walked back to town thinking where is the barn?? We passed the Church and a sign directed us to the left of the church (something barn) we walked down this  street to a factory with a lot of sheds with new iron/cladding, but it looked like private property so we continued on to find a way of getting back to Amiens, 

4 days later we are doing a tour with a lovely lady called Barbara from true blue aussie digger tours (?) and were telling her about the barn and trying to find it, she says she’ll be able to find it for us, so back out to Allonville we go and we take her to where we thought it was, she goes and asks the farmer in this property ( potatoes) yep that’s it. You can identify it by the bracing at the top of the posts. It has all new cladding on it now. Tony puts a poppy on the post and we get a few pics. Anyway it’s a good story

Red

Yes Red, that sounds like the information I have received too.  Thanks for your interest.

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody, 

Sorry for my English…. I will try to do my best….

I am from Allonville (France) and I 've worked on that day May 31, 1918 . 

In 2017, I try to find informations about Allonville's disaster and finally found a lot of informations .

The most important was to localize the barns, as Red said one of the barns can be seen . But it is in a private farm . It is possible to see it from the road or from a small lane behind.

Important also is to explain how was the life of these soldiers in our village where they came for à short period of rest.

The ceremony of April 15th 2018  was a first step . 

I am pleased to recognise some people who helped me for my research , Matt, Greg, Jason (?) and I would say how important was their help.

Sincerly

12 hours ago, Martial Louis said:

Hi everybody, 

Sorry for my English…. I will try to do my best….

I am from Allonville (France) and I 've worked on that day May 31, 1918 . 

In 2017, I try to find informations about Allonville's disaster and finally found a lot of informations .

The most important was to localize the barns, as Red said one of the barns can be seen . But it is in a private farm . It is possible to see it from the road or from a small lane behind.

Important also is to explain how was the life of these soldiers in our village where they came for à short period of rest.

The ceremony of April 15th 2018  was a first step . 

I am pleased to recognise some people who helped me for my research , Matt, Greg, Jason (?) and I would say how important was their help.

Sincerly

Many thanks to you for all you've done at ground level to keep the memories alive.

All the best

Jonathan

Bonjour, 

Would it be possible to have a look to : 2005 Cicolini Raymond Horace (and his 2 Brothers, 2003, 2004)

R H Cicolini had been wounded May 31th, 1918 in Allonville. I've found a letter sent to his mum May 27th 1918.

He died in 5th CCS (Grouy St Pierre) (his 2 Brothers (4th MT Coy) were with him).

I've found the adress of a descendant and sent him a mail… but no answer.

Thank you for your help.

Martial

Hi 

I am Raymond Horace Cicolini’s relative.

I have been to Allonville and located barns.

I visited his grave exactly 100 years after his death, 3 June 2018.

Yes he was wounded in Allonville 31 May 1918.

Martial I have replied to your email but I think the file was to large.

I will break it up and resend.

Thank you Rod, for adding more.  Although I have been focusing on the men of the 14th, it's good to know that others are being remembered too.

Jonathan

Thank you Rod for your post.

I am so pleased to be able to get in touch with you thanks to this forum. I was afraid I didn't find the right email adress to join you. The story of Raymond H and his two Brothers is a very emotional: 3 Brothers in the 4th M T in the same place. 2 Brothers who buried Ray …. I am waiting for your email. Thank you everybody for your help. Allonville will install . Allonville (volonteers of a association) will install information boards about the Australian presence in the village in 1918. This will be done before ANZAC Day. I hope that will help visitors . Best regards . Martial

17 hours ago, Martial Louis said:

Thank you Rod for your post.

I am so pleased to be able to get in touch with you thanks to this forum. I was afraid I didn't find the right email adress to join you. The story of Raymond H and his two Brothers is a very emotional: 3 Brothers in the 4th M T in the same place. 2 Brothers who buried Ray …. I am waiting for your email. Thank you everybody for your help. Allonville will install . Allonville (volonteers of a association) will install information boards about the Australian presence in the village in 1918. This will be done before ANZAC Day. I hope that will help visitors . Best regards . Martial

That’s wonderful news Martial.

Allonville is such an important part of the history of the conflict. 

It is such an important place for both our countries, and central to the victory on the Somme.

To the people of Upper Lansdowne.pdf

Excellent article Rod.  Thank you very much for sharing such a worthy tribute.

All the best

Jonathan

I assume everyone is aware of the Australian War Memorial initiative 

placesofpride.awm.gov.au

It is very significant, as certain memorials for our WW1 soldiers are not necessarily in places for general view at any time which is the case with my relative.

The site enables you to list your towns memorial and also upload photos and stories.

Importantly this is now under the umbrella of the AWM, and they will also have an annex at the AWM to show visitors once the proposed renovations and extensions are completed.

I have seen that people ask the question of one owner of the castle of Allonville: Why Jean Hennessy (Cognac Hennessy) was owner of the castle of Allonville during WW1.

So I try to make a short story of the castle and I translate it into English (sorry for the mistakes) I hope it will help you . 

All the best.

Château d'Allonville.pdf

Thanks for the history.  It's a lovely touch to the whole story.  English is fine.

Jonathan