Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

237th Siege Bty., R.G.A.

Paul Chapman

Good Evening,

2nd Lieut. Bowler, 2nd Lieut. Sutcliffe, Gnrs. Clark and Thorpe, 237th Siege Bty., R.G.A., killed in action

21 Oct. 1917, lie side by side in Gwalia Cemetery, Poperinghe.

Can anyone provide any extra information regarding these men and shed any light on the circumstances

of their deaths. Counter-battery fire ?

Paul.

In Memory & In Mourning,

For The Fallen,

Lest We Forget.

George William Thorpe.

Born Wantsford, Northants.

Residence Uppingham Oxford.

Enlisted Glen Parva.

Rank Gunner

Regiment Royal Garrison Artillery

Number 114026

Thomas Clark

Born Horbling Lincs.

Enlisted Rotherham

Rank Gunner

Regiment Royal Garrison Artillery

Number 104275

George Mitchell Sutcliffe.

Entered France 29/5/1916.

Cpl.64107 Commisioned 18/3/1917.

Age 27

Husband of Constance Sutcliffe 3 John Street Greetland halifax.

Sydney Bowler

Age 27

Son of John Charles and Elizabeth Bowler Brick House Scholar Green Cheshire.

Bob

• 1 year later...
Guest Powyspro

Hi does anyone have any info on the whereabouts of the 237th and what they were doing on 14th March 1918?

I am looking for Thomas Sidney Richards died on that day and is buried inLe Touret, Richebourg-L'avoue

thanks

As far as I know no war diary exists for 237th Siege Battery, RGA for that period. The war diary of HQ, RA, XVIII Corps indicates that 2Lt Sydney Bowler and 2Lt George Mitchell Sutcliffe were both killed and Major M W M MacLeod and 2Lt J McLean of 237th Siege Battery were wounded but gives the date as 22 Oct 17. It indicates that the right of the line was heavily shelled in the morning but gives no information on how the above officers were killed or wounded. Dick Flory

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello,

If you are still looking for information on this this topic, I can tell you that MWM MacLeod sent a Field Service Post Card to his mother on 21st Octover 1917, to say that he had been admitted into hospital.

His next letter home explained some of the circumstances: ""First and foremost it was a bomb - dropped right alongside me. The were four officers of the battery, and I got off lightest.One was killed and the other three including myself wounded, and all about the legs. But here is the worst point of it: we were in a rest camp on the way to some quiet part of the line!! Isn't that the irony of fate. Of course nobody heard the bomb coming - it pitched with a trememdous flash and crash - my legs gave way and I rolled over into a pool of blood. Then came the horrible part. Everyone round was hit and nobody could help each other. We lay there for about ten minutes. However I was hit about 6pm and I was in hospital and operated on by midnight. Not bad work eh? The chloroform didn't upset me at all and I felt very much better after they had got the splinters out. Well mother don't "get the wind up" as we say - I am absolutely all right and will probably be moved across to Blightly in a day or two."

A few days later he wrote: "If you told Collett I was done in by a shell, you were wrong. It was an aeroplane bomb that did the dirty work. The Bosch flew over us and dropped four bombs. I see I am in Saturday's casualty list - also the other three who were hit with me. One I see has died of wounds. I knew he was pretty badly hit."

• 2 years later...

Almost 3 years later ...

I came across this Topic because I am doing a little bit of research on a man in Talana Farm Cemetery, Boezinge, 2nd Lt. Eric Ian Cuthbertson. He was killed on 23 October 1917, two days after the four men died on the initial posting in this topic, who are buried in Gwalia Farm Cem. (Elverdinge, the village just west of my Boezinge). They were 237th Siege Battery.

My problem 2nd Lt. Cutbertson was (according to CWGC) 327th Siege Battery, but nowhere can I find on the Long Long Trail mention of this 327th Siege Baty, it seems not to exist (?). So I am beginning to wonder : was 327th on the Graves Registration Report a typo for 237th ?

Link to the LLT, no mention of 327th. Where am I making a mistake or overlooking something?

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/the-siege-batteries-of-the-royal-garrison-artillery/

I am also a little inclined to believe that because Gawalia Farm I think was on the evacuation line from Boezinge. (But then 'evacuation lines' and 'artillery' are far from my focus I must admit.)

A tough question, I know, but if somebody replies: "You are right, 327th does not exist", then I think I will feel relieved. And can move on.

Aurel

Edited by Aurel Sercu
Adding link

327th Siege Battery certainly existed. It went out on the 12 May 1917 from Southampton and disembarked Le Havre the next day. 

You may not have noticed that buried beside 2nd Lt. Cuthbertson is Fitter Staff Sergeant Thomas E. Ryan killed on the same day and with the same battery. On the 23rd October 1917 the battery was posted to 14 HAG which is available at the NA under WO 95/468/3. I do not know whether the incident is mentioned.

Kevin

Kevin,

So no sigh of relief .. But knowing that 327th did exist makes me feel relieved too. Thanks.   So : 14 HAG.

Yes, indeed, I had noticed that the grave next to 2nd Lt. Cuthbertson is Fitter Staff Sgt. Ryan, same day, and had wondered if his death was related.

Aurel

Edited by Aurel Sercu
typo

• 11 months later...

Hi, I am just revisiting any info about 237th Siege Battery as I write up the lives of those names appearing on Norton, Suffolk's War Memorial. I hope to put a definitive record in St Andrew's Church, in time for the 100th Celebration of the Armistice. Our Memorial had just had £2,000 worth of restoration before a police car hit it !!

This Battery seems to have taken quite a pounding during 1917. Norton lost Walter Joe Bennett when  237 Siege Battery in which he was serving was shelled by a German 15cm heavy howitzer on 16th Aug. 1 British gun was damaged, 2 men were killed outright, 2 others died soon afterwards and 6 were wounded on that occasion.

Any detailed info or link to research about operations/ movements involving 237th Siege Battery would be most helpful.

3 hours ago, Hookleg said:

Norton lost Walter Joe Bennett when  237 Siege Battery in which he was serving was shelled by a German 15cm heavy howitzer on 16th Aug. 1 British gun was damaged,

Both his records and SDGW suggest he was KIA on the 17th August 1917. The battery were using 4 x 6in Howitzers (26cwt) at that time. He was an Observer.

If you haven't already seen it then I would obtain 71st HAGs diary for the time the battery was with that group - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/5e112a7d8ab6451f9b03447ddded808c .

Kevin