Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BUYER BEWARE

Muerrisch

I think I already have done my best without diagrams or a practical demonstration!!--perhaps you could use your imagination--I just knew that I shouldn't have started on this one!!

Sorry, I can't help any further.

Fascinating thread. Surely, isn't the word DUTY engraved rather than stamped on? On some of the other plates illustrated, some of the wording also looks to me to be engraved rather than stamped. In post 22 you can see the word DUTY faintly through the front of the plate, again I would suspect on account of engraving.

Dave

DUTY is Engraved with the exception of the Queens, this is a cast plate and the word duty is raised in the casting, the name and number are stamped.

Mick

• 4 years later...

W H J Barfoot

Regiment or Corps:1st Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment

Regimental Number:L/9340

I don't think it's the usual RSR badge, as it is surmounted by a crown rather than a feather.

An officer's badge maybe?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Coincidentally the same badge as in the photo of the bedplate named to 7930 F. Batchelor, posted in this thread by Auchonvillersomme. RSR but badge as on collar dogs or buttons, rather than the cap badge (with its Roussillon plume)?

Pat

5 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

W H J Barfoot

Regiment or Corps:1st Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment

Regimental Number:L/9340

I don't think it's the usual RSR badge, which is surmounted by a crown rather than a feather.

An officer's badge maybe?

Wow thanks Dai,

I posted this thinking I might get an answer in a few weeks.....or maybe not at all

Thanks so much for such a rapid response and completely unexpected.

How did you get his initials and Reg so quickly and any chance you can tell me where to look up his history and dates served?

Really appreciate you help

Best regards

REMER

Hi All

The above link (32) is to the award of the Meritorious Service Medal to CSM  W H J Barfoot L/9340, 1st Bn. Royal Sussex Regt, India,  London Gazette 3.9.20, 0737/9122...looking..

Regards Barry

To France as a Corporal 17/8/15. CSM at the end of the war and awarded MSM 1920.

William Henry Joseph.

Hi All

Also served as 6390402 R Sussex Regt. Theatre 17.8.15 5Gii  & iv (Asiatic), Brit/ Vic, 15 Star and IGS (CSM)

Regards Barry 

Edited by The Inspector

40 minutes ago, johntanner said:

To France as a Corporal 17/8/15. CSM at the end of the war and awarded MSM 1920.

William Henry Joseph.

Hi

Where did you get entered France 17.8.15 from? MIC and medal award rolls shows as above.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

I note from a cursory look at ebay that "brass bed plate"s without a name [and some with no space for a name ] are in the majority. Perhaps I and fellow collectors have nigh on dried up the interesting end of the market.

2 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

I note from a cursory look at ebay that "brass bed plate"s without a name [and some with no space for a name ] are in the majority. Perhaps I and fellow collectors have nigh on dried up the interesting end of the market.

Agreed

But this one came with a name and number

Thanks to others on the site we are now beginning to piece some of this mil history together and he was quite a boy

20 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi All

Also served as 6390402 R Sussex Regt. Theatre 17.8.15 5Gii  & iv (Asiatic), Brit/ Vic, 15 Star and IGS (CSM)

Regards Barry 

Sorry for being a dumb sh!t guys:

What does this mean?

"Theatre 17.8.15 5Gii  & iv (Asiatic), Brit/ Vic, 15 Star and IGS"

I'm ready to be educated

Best regards,

REMER

Thanks Inspector,

Most appreciate the input but I've spent 5 hours trying to figure what it means and I'm still none the wiser

Any chance you can decode the following into English for a numb nut?

" Theatre 17.8.15 5Gii  & iv (Asiatic), Brit/ Vic, 15 Star and IGS" - Sorry but I don't have a scooby

There's a 5G (Hafiz) but no ii or iv; what do the ii and iv relate to?

Brit / Vic relates to what as I cant find it in the list?

Same with 15 Star and IGS?

Sorry to be a pain but I'm new at this.....

Best regards

REMER

Hi REMER,

The date of 17.8.15 is the date that he first entered an active theatre of war, and the theatre code should tell you which theatre that was. I haven't seen one written like that before though, but looking at the (very) potted history of the 1st Battalion on the LLT here, I presume that it must have been somewhere in India (including the modern day Pakistan), or en route. Hopefully, a bit of research around the unit history for WW1 should help to clarify. It might also be worth seeing if there are any surviving service papers for other men on the 14/15 Star Roll of the Regiment with the same theatre/arrival date from which you can probably make some reasonable inferences.

"Brit/Vic, 15 Star and IGS" are medal entitlements - see here.

There is some good advice on how to research a soldier, and main stream, readily available records - how to interpret them, etc here on the LLT.

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Hi All

There are 6 men on the Royal Sussex Regt medal award roll, page 2, Roll E/2/3/A 14/15 Stars, all with the same theatre listed. See the MIC

Regards Barry

5G (to 31.12.15 then 6) was the frontier regions of India see:-,http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/150788-1st-bn-royal-sussex-reg-india-links/. This explains a bit more but not fully!

Edited by The Inspector

Picture of a Durham Light Infantry plate I have...a family piece.

Also marked to manufacturer KNARBOROUGH in tiny stamp on reverse.Nothing else on the back.

Its quite a solid lump of metal  approx. 4inches by 3 inches.

Alan

bedplate.JPG

• 5 years later...
On 17/02/2017 at 20:59, bigalni said:

Picture of a Durham Light Infantry plate I have...a family piece.

Also marked to manufacturer KNARBOROUGH in tiny stamp on reverse.Nothing else on the back.

Its quite a solid lump of metal  approx. 4inches by 3 inches.

Alan

bedplate.JPG

I picked up one of similar form to the RWF just recently

rwf bedplate 1.jpg