Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army Battlefield Sites in the Salient

Mark Hone

The post on the Gurkhas has jogged my memory about a plan I have for our tenth anniversary battlefields tour in 2004. I would like to visit at least one site in the Salient connected with the Indian participation. Last year we visited the Indian cavalry graves at Grotebeek but if anyone has any suggestions regarding a fairly self-contained action or particular incident I would be very grateful. I haven't started detailed research on this. A growing number of pupils of Asian descent come on our annual battlefields tour and I would like to acknowledge the Indian contribution on our anniversary visit.

Mark

Did you want to keep strictly to the Salient? Otherwise you could consider Neuve Chapelle which is not too much of a drive south. There is a large Indian War Memorial there, and the battlefield is self contained. Bois du Biez still shows the pock marks of shell craters.

There useful references to the battle (with a map) in Lyn MacDonald's "1915 -The Death of Innocence" and "Sepoys in the Trenches" by Gordon Corigan, also with a schematic plan.

Regards

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I did try to visit the Neuve Chapelle memorial during our infamous 'monsoon' tour of 2000. Although we did manage to visit the nearby Portuguese Cemetery the rain became too torrential (and I mean torrential)for all but a handful of foolhardy volunteers to venture off the coach at Neuve Chapelle! To be honest I would prefer to visit somewhere in the Salient itself if possible. The basic plan is to visit the Messines/Plugsteet area on one day, and Langemark/Boesinghe/Poperinge on the other.

But Mark for the Indian Army the Port Arthur area where the memorial is is really the area and it's what, maybe a half hour from Wipers? Do take a look at the Gordon Corrigan book Sepoys In The Trenches. Also Dominiek Deendooven IFF Museum, Ieper would be happy to help you. he's speaking on Indian Army at our WFA USA trip/seminar next week.

Some years ago a memorial to the 36th Sikhs (? Jacky will confirm) was unveiled in the Salient... Hollebeke seems to ring bells. I must confess I haven't seen it myself yet - but I am sure there is a printed history of this unit in WW1 and the war diaries are at PRO; there are also several photos in books like 'The Old Contemptibles'. The 'Indian Corps in France' might also prove a good source. The NAM at Chelsea was always good for researching the IA - try them first, perhaps?

You could always hunt out the scene of action of the first Indian Victoria Cross winner - Sepoy Khudadad Khan of the 129th Baluchis (30th October 1914)- in the Wijtschaete - Messines area. In fact the 129th Baluchis are the only Indian Infantry unit tocarry the battle honour Ypres 1914 and Gheluvelt .They share the Messines 1914 battle honour with four other Indian units.

A small memorial to the Indian army,with the inscription in 3 languages has also been recently (last November?) opened on the ramparts at Ypres (on the grass next to the Menin Gate (south side)).

Dave.

Thanks for the information. On the first day of our tour I intend to concetrate on 1st Ypres and aftermath (Shrewsbury Forest, Halloween night at Messines, the Christmas Truce etc.) so the Baluchi VC would fit in exactly. Is there one of those detailed 'VCs' books on 1914? I only have the Somme volume.

Yes there is

"VCs of the First World War - 1914" by Gerald Gliddon

Sutton Publishing ( J.H.Haynes & Co) ISBN 1 84015 006 8

£16.99 1994 reprinted 2000

Contains details of two Indian VCs

Mark.

I've done a little research into Khan's VC action.If you want to know any more about it,contact me off forum.

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Michael Orr

Dear Mark,

How about the Lahore Division's attack on 26 April 1915 from north of St Jean towards Mauser Ridge? There is a good account in Gordon Corrigan's book, Sepoys in the Trenches. I have done battlefield tour stands on this action & the ground is good, although if the A19 extension gets built it will run right across it. Track X Cemetery is not a bad viewing point. I will add this battle to the 55th Div stuff I still owe you & hope to pass on before too long.

Michael Orr