Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfather's Medals have been auctioned!

TEW

Hi all,

As the title suggests I found a listing HERE for my Grandfathers BWM & Victory with another star and a cycling medal.

The star must be non-military.

Have just phoned the Auction house who confirm it must be an old sale and there are helping with a date and final price. It is listed as being a 2012 auction.

Obviously, I'm gutted to say the least that I've missed this opportunity to get them back.

They were in the care of my uncle until about 1995 when he realised he’d ‘mislaid’ them during various moves. I discovered this fact about 2001 and put up information on a website back then which no longer seems to exist. Perhaps it was the forerunner of http://www.lostmedals.co.uk

There is no suggestion of any theft etc.

Is it at all possible someone on this forum has them?. The listing reads:

Two World War I medals awarded to Major E.G.L. Whiteaway, along with another star and a bronze cycling medal.

They were auctioned in Chiswick sometime this year. I assume the auction house has privacy rules so I doubt they’ll be telling me who has them now. Has anyone had to deal with a similar situation?

At least at present I know they’re out there somewhere and weren’t melted down for scrap.

Any offers of help gratefully received

Thanks

TEW

Hi TEW whilst the auction house would not give you buyers details they may be willing to pass a letter from you to the buyer and see what happens.john

I would try the British Medals Forum in case someone there has them and is willing to discuss the medals. You might also place an advertisement in 'Medal News' a monthly publication from Token Publishing. They also have an online medal finder service.

Good luck.

What a b****r. I hope you can track them down and then discover that whoever has them is prepared to restore heritage where it rightly belongs.

Best wishes,

Trajan

I have checked the search engine on the BMF which tracks medals in dealer stock and got no results for Major E G L Whiteaway.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,

Joseph

Thanks all for suggestions and help so far. Have to sit back know and wait to see the auction house has to say tomorrow.

TEW

Hello TEW, we had a similar experience with my husband's uncle's medals, and sent a letter through an auction house, but had no reply. We would have been happy with photographs of them even, but missed our chance by a year or so.

Hope you have a good outcome

Cheers

Shirley

Hi TEW

I agree with Munster. I am sure the auction house will send on a letter to the owner with your contact details. I have recently found my cousins ww1 medals this way by complete fluke. However, be prepared some people may take advantage and put the price up accordingly.

Cheers

Adrian

Just updating my original post.

Have now found out the medals were sold on 7th Feb this year for £140!!

Am in contact with the auction house and have requested they pass on my details to the purchaser.

Fingers crossed!

TEW

ianw,

No, the MC was not part of the lot. Still not sure what the star is though. It's a 'watch this space' thing at present.

Thanks

TEW

• 3 weeks later...

Please see my follow up post in 'Medals'

Thanks

TEW