Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Testament of Youth: BBC Films announces a new dramatisation

NigelS

Pleased to see the book has come onto Audible. Narrated by Sheila Mitchell.

Thanks for the information ! Have not heard of 'Audible' before. Just posted about this in the Vera Brittain Facebook group and acknowledged GWF. Regards.

Pleased to see the book has come onto Audible. Narrated by Sheila Mitchell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin

I saw the dvd in Sainsburys for a fiver today, think I will ask for it for Mothering Sunday or my birthday

Michelle

Good to see Alicia Vikander got an Oscar last night albeit not for 'Testament of Youth'

post-100478-0-12163300-1456771342_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

What a shame the film has made such a mockery of the book. Disjointed and not following the story at all

Michelle

Watched the film last night and thought Alicia Vikander's performance was exceptional. I haven't read the book yet so cannot comment on the inaccuracies, but thoroughly enjoyed the film and will watch it again sometime, no doubt.

On the lookout now for a reasonably priced early edition of the book, but I'm afraid my budget will not get me a signed first edition currently on Abe for £1250.

John

Hello Michelle, We have already been discussing the movie again via the 'Facebook' Vera Brittain group so not going to duplicate it !

We agree on quite a lot .

But weighing everything up, the film has led to a new influx of people reading the book so some good has come from the film.

What is interesting is that there were plans for a Hollywood version of 'Testament of Youth' in the 1930's. Will need to look this. From what I remember, Vera eventually decided against it.

The Vera Brittain Facebook is at https://www.facebook.com/groups/10361676742/ and GWF pals with an interest in Vera's work are welcome. Winifred Holtby's work is also discussed.

The emphasis is more towards the Great War, though other aspects of Vera's life are covered.

What a shame the film has made such a mockery of the book. Disjointed and not following the story at all

Michelle

• 4 weeks later...

Remembered today. Geoffery Robert Youngman Thurlow, good friend of Vera Brittan, died 99 years ago today serving with the 10th btn Sherwood Foresters. Whilst holding the German front line he climbed the parapet in an attempt to find out the situation on the flank (the trench was too congested) He was shot by a sniper and died 15 minutes later in the trench, lying on a stretcher.

post-100478-0-59396800-1461311155_thumb.

• Admin

Remembering Geoffrey today on the anniversary of his death

• 9 months later...

The film is being screened on BBC, Saturday, February 18 at 1255am. Having recently read an excerpt from the book (which is on my "borrow from library" list), I'll be recording it.

Moonraker

• 6 months later...

I've just read this whole thread to see if I should watch the film on a French tv channel on Thursday evening. My television magazine gives it four stars and calls it superb and formidable. I would suspect though that it is partly being shown because Kit Harington appears in a thing called Game of Thrones, which I have never seen. I guess I will give it a try, but having re-read Testament of Youth only recently I will be gnashing my teeth at the distortions.

cheers Martin B

Well I watched this last night from beginning to end, and despite the errors pointed out by GWF members I found it quite well done. I thought the scenes in the CCS were particularly good. The film also managed to convey the mood of the time and the gulf between the soldiers at the front and the civilians at home.

Cheers Martin B

• 7 months later...

For any of those not aware; the film was shown on BBC1 over the weekend, and is thus now available on iPlayer, for around 25 days or so.

I actually posted the same on the day it was on, but either I didn't press "submit reply" or it has disappeared. How odd! (We recorded it as it was on late).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06j49gb

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...