Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Testament of Youth: BBC Films announces a new dramatisation

NigelS

There's a feature film due to be released next year about them, titled 'Four Saints' though I worry about its content and accuracy.

Jean-Pierre Isbouts has been trying to get this miserable travesty off the ground for some years, and I had hoped that he had finally given up.

• 11 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has any news about 'Testament of Youth' -the Movie' ?

Everything seems to have gone very quiet.

From doing a websearch, 'The Guardian' featured 'Testament of Youth' in an article a few months back, but hasn't really stated anything new. Regards, Michael Bully

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/mar/24/vera-brittain-testament-of-youth

Thanks, Peter.

Oh, dear, another to add to the list.

Kath.

Kath, I have a spare copy if you'd like it.

sJ

Both Vera and Edward Brittain visted Roland Leightons grave at Louvencourt.

post-100478-0-19009700-1374860435_thumb.

Fantastic photo, thanks Ghazala ! Still wondering if anyone has solved mystery surrounding Roland Leighton's gravestone, why he was listed as being 19, when he was 20 when he died; his date of birth being 27th March 1895.

Could someone have read 1896 for 1895 on his service record? 5 & 6 are easily confusible in some handwritings.

• Admin

My theory is that his mother who was a flamboyant overbearing character with a sense of the dramatic may have had something to do with it. The register details (when there were proper registers) state that Roland was KIA when in fact he died of wounds.

Michelle

Indeed Michelle, I have found it very hard to read Marie Connor Leighton's 'Boy of my Heart' - memoir to Roland Leighton, 'Boy of my Heart' : Published anonymously in 1916, -it's available on the WWW.

Regards

Michael Bully

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL13997070M/Boy_of_my_heart.

My theory is that his mother who was a flamboyant overbearing character with a sense of the dramatic may have had something to do with it. The register details (when there were proper registers) state that Roland was KIA when in fact he died of wounds.

Michelle

• 1 year later...

A pal of mine posted this on the Vera Brittain Facebook group : The trailer for 'Testament of Youth' the movie.

The trailer.....tinkly piano playing as usual, looks like its going to be a modern monstrosity, I hope not, but recent films sate it will be.

When I saw T of Y I fell in love with Cheryl Campbell! I was lucky enough to correspond with her & found her a warm lovely lady with kind thoughts for veterans. A very CLASS ACT.

Looks like Downton Abbey - even the music sounds similar! I'll stick with the book, and memories of Cheryl Campbell (I too fell in love with her!)

Well yes 'Testament of Youth- the Movie' has a lot to live up to in trying to film quite a long book which is held in high esteem by so many people. Also will be compared to the TV series in the late 1970's which was certainly of high quality.

I am hoping for the best as firstly Mark Bostridge, Vera Brittain's biographer has been involved, and secondly the film has taken some time to make,

Colin Morgan of 'Merlin' fame is playing Victor Richardson, one of Vera's closest friends who died of wounds incurred at Arras. I regularly visit Victor's grave as live nearby, so will be particularly interested to see how he is portrayed. This site here claims to have published some pics

http://testament-ofyouth.tumblr.com/

This is Victor Richardson, on the right. Roland Leighton is in the centre and Edward Brittain on the left.

post-100478-0-59058400-1409950934_thumb.

In accordance with her last wishes, Vera's ashes were scattered over Edwards grave at the cemetery of Granezza in Italy, in September 1970.

post-100478-0-24487700-1409951317_thumb.

Good to have these pictures added to the thread, thanks. The first photo of Edward Brittain, Roland Leighton, and Victor Richardson is from an OTC camp , Aldershot, July or August 1914, according to Don Farr's 'None That Go Return-Leigton, Brittain and Friends and the Lost Generation 1914-1918' . I don't recognise the second one.

The three were to referred to by Vera's mother as the 'Three Musketeers'.

• 3 weeks later...

A pal from the Vera Brittain Facebook group has posted this link :

Seems that there are some tickets available for a preview of 'Testament of Youth- the Movie ' in October as part of the BFI London Film Festival.

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Online/default.asp?BOparam%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle%3A%3Apermalink=testamentofyouth2014

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is desperately interested in the new version of Testament of youth, and/or Vera Brittain's time at Somerville, I have an invitation to a literary dinner there (Sat. Nov. 15th) and could add on a guest or two in addition to Other Half. Speakers are Baroness Shirley Williams, biographer Mark Bostridge, and the producer, director and screenwriter of the new film.

PM if interested, but only if really interested please!

sJ