Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify this medal?

KIRKY

post-778-0-73369300-1337452245_thumb.jpg

Hi see attached medal attached to a trio and long serive Naval medal.

Anyone know what it is?

Tony

what does the text read? The image makes me wonder if Scandinavian/Baltic?? No ribbon like Mashonaland/Rhodesia 1896-7.. but wrong medal .. nor order of St George)-

There's nothing in the MYB that I could find. Possibly Prissian or Russian.

Who were the medals awarded to?

Cheers Andy.

The ribbon looks identical to that of the Russian Order of St George, but the medal isn't (if you understand what I mean). Is the one on the right the RFR LS&GC?

Aled

Looks not unlike Peter the Great but if Russian one would expect Cyrillic letters

It is Cyrillic.

On the right I can read И САМОДЕРЖЕЦЪ ВСЕРОСС[iЙСКIЙ] = "and Autocrat of All the Russias".

Assuming it's Peter the Great, the left should read Б[ОЖIЮ] М[ИЛОСТIЮ] ПЕТРЪ I. ИМПЕРАТОРЪ "By Grace of God Peter I Emperor", but somehow it doesn't look quite like it! Maybe it says ПЕТРЪ ВЕЛИКIЙ ИМПЕРАТОРЪ "Peter the Great Emperor".

Any chance of a clearer photo? And what's on the back?

Adrian

Hi here is the reverse, medal next to it is the Royal Fleet Reserve Long Service and good conduct medal.

Tried to get a clearer pic but no luck yet!

Tony

It's certainly on the ribbon of the St.George Medal, but the actual piece is nothing like that. The reverse of the St. george Medal says simply "For Bravery" and has the head of Nicholas. This appears to be a commemmorative piece of some kind which has been mounted on StG ribbon.

NGG

It's certainly on the ribbon of the St.George Medal, but the actual piece is nothing like that. The reverse of the St. george Medal says simply "For Bravery" and has the head of Nicholas. This appears to be a commemmorative piece of some kind which has been mounted on StG ribbon.

NGG

There was a commemorative medal like this struck to celebrate Peter's visit to Paris more that 200 years before WW1. I believe that a similar medal was also struck for his visit to England but that no examples appear to have survived.

Regardless of what it is, or whether it was properly awarded to the recipient of the other medals in the group, it's in the wrong position. Where the wearing of foreign awards or decorations is authorised they follow after British awards.

Here is reverse,

tony

post-778-0-68151600-1337600973_thumb.jpg

Can't find anything identical by googling for Peter the Great medals in English, German or Russian.

Might help if we could read the lettering round the edge - it just pixellates on zooming in. Could you try it with a macro camera setting, or perhaps try putting it on a scanner?

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! This is Russian commemorative medal of 200th anniversary of Gangut naval battle.

It was established on June 12, 1914 as last jubilee medal dedicated to the 200th anniversary of the naval victory of Cape Gangut. It was minted from bronze and its release was timed to coincide with the celebrations of the Baltic Sea.

The obverse - the bust, facing right, the image of Peter I in a laurel wreath, with the shoulder armor and ribbon. Around the royal head ellipse inscription: "GREAT PETR. And the All-Russian Czar SAMODERZHETS.. " On the reverse - the disposition of Russian and Swedish ships at the last moment before the battle. Bleed - two-line inscription: "THE DAY JUNE 27 - 1714." In the upper half of the coin between its rim and concentric lines, the inscription - a short saying of Peter I: «diligence and FIDELITY Exceeds MUCH", and similar to the first placed at the bottom of another inscription: "THE FIRST MARINE VICTORY Gangut." The image of the sea battle on the back side of the coin made on the model of Peter's Medal in 1714. At one time it was borrowed by Peter I to the engraving of the "Book of Mars."

In 1914, all naval officers received a commemorative medal with a gold chain, hung (on top of Andrew's ribbon) to the opposite ends of the two upper corners of the pad.

All the lower ranks of naval crews - from sailor to midshipman, - consisting on active duty for the day of the anniversary, were awarded medals by the same, but without the chain.

It occurs mainly in the four varieties of this award, which differ from one another only in minor details but the portrait of Peter I. One of the medals is the most mediocre kind of token - a thin, elongated with a small eye.

Often you can see the collections in artistically designed plaques of dark bronze (copper) with a beautiful highly artistic depiction of the sea battle off Cape Gangut. It is very rare, such as plaques, "In memory of the 200th anniversary of Gangut" made of silver.

Sorry in advance for my possible not correct translation of this page http://www.sobiratel...t/200Gangut.htm