Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Giggleswick School register, roll of honour

high wood

Does anyone have a copy of the Giggleswick school register and, or, roll of honour that covers the Great War? I am particularly looking for information about and hopefully a photograph of Jack Balmer Tattersall and his brother who both served as Second Lieutenants in the 2/6th battalion Manchester Regiment.

Thank you.

Simon.

From the Giggleswick School Register 1491-1921:

Tattersall, Fred Gordon

Born on 1 Oct 1896, the son of J. L. Tattersall of Woodeaves, Hale Barnes, Altrincham, Cheshire

Educated at Giggleswick School from May 1911 to April 1915 (1st XV Football)

Apprenticed to a stockbroker

Commissioned into the 6th Bn, Manchester Regt

Served in France with the 11th Bn

wounded and gassed

Demobilized on 4 February 1919

In 1921 he lived at Woodeaves, Hale Barnes, Altrincham, Cheshire

I could find not Jack Balmer Tattersall at Giggleworth School. The only others with the surname Tattersall are: Cornelius Hermann Tattersall, John Tattersall and Frank Peel Tattersall (another brother who served with the Tank Corps) and Henry Percy Tattershall who was too old to serve in the Great War.

There is a Jack Balmer Tattersall who attended Sedbergh School (Sedbergh School Register 1875 to 1928):

Jack Balmer Tattersall

Born on 1 October 1895, the the son of J. L. Tattersall of Woodeaves, Hale Barnes, Altrincham, Cheshire

Attended Sedbergh School from 1911 to July 1912

No indication of war services

Brother of Tom Harland Tattersall who also attended Sedbergh School and who was a Lieutenant in the Tank Corps and later an actor in Canada.

The Sedbergh School Record of War Service 1914-1918 indicates the war service of Tom Harland Tattersall but lists no war service for Jack Balmer Tattersall.

None of the references listed contain photos of students.

Regards, Dick Flory

The 1901 census shows 4 brothers;

Thomas Harland c1895

Jack Balmer c1896

Fred Gordon c1897

Frank Peel c1899

Frank Peel's papers are on Ancestry. He ended the war as a L/cpl in the Tank Corps.

The other 3 brothers appear in "The OTC and the Great War" as Manchester Regiment (oddly?)

Of course, Jack was cashiered in 1916, and his MIC exists but shows no overseas service.

Hi Simon,

I have checked for a photograph of him in the XV, but unfortunately one does not appear to exist for the seasons, 1913-14 or 1914-15. He was a member of the XV during both these years.

He does receive a mention under "Characters of the XV" in December 1914:

"F.G.Tattersall: Exceedingly useful individually; too selfish for combination. Trusts to his speed and swerves always; might do well to kick more. A good tackler and fair place kick.

(Weight, 11st. 9lbs.)

He is aso noted as being head of Shute House in December 1914.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Dick, IPT and Robert, thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. The information that you have provided adds yet more pieces to the jigsaw puzzle. I have a photograph, dated January 1915, of a second Lieutenant in the Manchester Regiment named Jack. Assuming that Jack is his first name and not a diminutive of John, Jack Balmer Tattersall seems to be the only officer who fits the bill. There were other Manchester Regiment officers called Jack, the majority were commissioned after January 1915 and one, Jack E M Atterley was commissioned as a Lieutenant on 1st October 1914 so shouldn't be the man in the photograph.

Jack Balmer Tattersall seems to have been a character but I need to find a photograph of him to see if he is the man in my photograph. He seems to have left quite a trail behind him, particularly if you put his name into the London Gazette search box but is he the man in the photograph.

Does anyone know how I can find out the circumstances that caused him to be cashiered? I assume that this event caused him to be left out of the Sedburgh School register as far as his war service record was concerned. I also think that he is probably the same Jack B Tattersall who enlisted in the ASC but I will have to get the medal roll out to confirm. I originally started a thread about Jack in the Manchester Regiment group forum.

Thank you again.

Simon

Here is the photograph of the Jack. There is a pencilled message on the back, "narrow frame for Birch Hall". It may, or may not be a clue.

post-6480-0-78074000-1337449191_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

I appreciate that this is an old thread, but i was wondering if anyone from the above has the entry (if any) for Major Vivian Norval Kidd M.C., 8th Bn Duke of Wellington's

any help appreciated,

kind regards,

Pete.

Hi Pete,

From the Giggleswick School Register:

Kidd, Vivian Norval, 11th September,1887. Son of William Kidd, The Dovecote, Otley. Left March,1904. 1st XV Football, RMC Sandhurst. Gazetted 2nd Lieut. 2nd Bn Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regt., October,1907. Joined 1st Bn in India, October,1908. Lieut. October,1909. Returned from India for 3 years at the Depot, October,1912. Service during the Great War 1914-18: promoted Captain; took part in the landing at Suvla Bay, later Major; DAA and QMG to a Division in France. Rejoined his regiment as 2nd in Command; awarded the MC; twice mentioned in despatches; once wounded, killed in action.

Hope this helps?

Robert

PS May I ask your interest in Major Kidd?

• 2 years later...

Hello I dont know if this forum is still going on, as I just stumbled upon it, but I have all the answers to your questions as Fred Gordon Tattersall was my father and his siblings were my uncles.   Please feel free to email me if you are still searching more information. Sara