Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers

Wesley Wright

Does anyone know when/where T McILroy might have won his Military Medal. He was from Upperlands-Co. Londonderry.

Wesley Wright

McILROY, T

Rank: Lance Corporal Service No: 19878 Date of Death: 21/03/1918 Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 2nd Bn Awards: M M Grave Reference Urvillers German Cem. Mem. 50. Cemetery ST. SOUPLET BRITISH CEMETERY

Wesley

There is a chance that an MM citation might appear in the Battalion War Diary.

Gazette entries seem to have about a three month gap between award and publication,so you may have to look through the Diary (ies) to see if any comments have been made.

WO95/2397 covers the period Jan 1916 to Jan 1918 with 32 Division. Then a change,

WO95/2510 from Feb 1918 to Apr 1919 with 36 Division. Both Diaries are digital and can be downloaded from the NA Catalogue.

Sotonmate

Thanks again for information.I have the 2nd "Skins" diaries when they were attached to the 36th Division and their is no mention of his award.

Wesley Wright

• 2 weeks later...

I have found the information on his winning MM.in local newspaper --won during Battle of Cambrai. Thanks to all.

Wesley Wright

• 1 month later...

Wesley,

Thomas McIlroy was a 10th Inniskilling, as they were disbanded in Feb 1918, men were distributed to the 9th, 1st and a lot to the 2nd.

With his 19... service number he is not an original September 1914 recruit, these are all 15... or 16... numbers but he is an early 15 recruit and should have gone to France with them.

He is listed in Gardiner Mitchell's 'Three Cheers for the Derry's'.

He was a member of 'D' company and could have got his MM at either Langemark or Cambrai 1917.

'D' company was 'South County Londonderry.

Rob

Wesley,

Thomas McIlroy was a 10th Inniskilling, as they were disbanded in Feb 1918, men were distributed to the 9th, 1st and a lot to the 2nd.

With his 19... service number he is not an original September 1914 recruit, these are all 15... or 16... numbers but he is an early 15 recruit and should have gone to France with them.

He is listed in Gardiner Mitchell's 'Three Cheers for the Derry's'.

He was a member of 'D' company and could have got his MM at either Langemark or Cambrai 1917.

'D' company was 'South County Londonderry.

Rob

Thanks Robert--found Details of award in Mid Ulster Mail for 1918--appears 4 members of a Lewis gun team won the award at Cambrai. All of them from South Derry.

Visited Thomas's GRAVE recently--18 of them had been captured by the Germans --but died shortly afterwards.

Wesley,

They were notified quite quickly of the award, at a parade, i think on the 28th of November 1917. Corps comander authorised about 20 MMs'.

The four were the only ones from 'D' company.

A well known Lewis Gunner from Londonderry, Thomas Diver, got his MM here too. He was killed in 1918 as well.

Rob

Rob / Wesley

When I get back from Croatia, I will check my newspaper pictures library for this man - woould either of you be interested in copies if I have a picture of him?

Rob - I have some family group pictures from BET - you know the sort of thing, "Derry Family's Patriotism" - would you be interested in copies?

Nigel

Nigel,

Yes thanks very much would like those. i do have one, for family called Thompson. Had eleven family members serve as i recall.

I have something that would probably be better with you. large bound volume of july - december 1917 belfast newsletter.

No photos but names all through.

Rob

Rob

Will email images when I get home from Croatia.

I have downloaded BNL from Ancestry but would welcome the chance to review the hardcopy at leisure (and can think of several others who would like to see it!!!!!)

Nigel

Rob / Wesley

When I get back from Croatia, I will check my newspaper pictures library for this man - woould either of you be interested in copies if I have a picture of him?

Rob - I have some family group pictures from BET - you know the sort of thing, "Derry Family's Patriotism" - would you be interested in copies?

Nigel

Thanks--would be interested in any photographs espicially those from South Derry area

Wesley

Wesley

No problem, but I would appreciate a definition of "South Derry" !!! Alternatively, I would send you a list of all the servicemen pictures that I have where Londonderry appears in the photo caption.

Nigel

Wesley

No problem, but I would appreciate a definition of "South Derry" !!! Alternatively, I would send you a list of all the servicemen pictures that I have where Londonderry appears in the photo caption.

Nigel

Magherafelt, Tobermore, Maghera, Upperlands, Bellaghy, Castledawson, Moneymore, Kilrea--the major towns/villages of South Londonderry!

Thanks again

Wesley

ps--any Larne area photographs would be appreciated(The area where I now live)

Wesley

OK, will filter for pictures with those names in the caption and will be in touch next week.

Nigel

Wesley

OK, will filter for pictures with those names in the caption and will be in touch next week.

Nigel

Thank you very much Nigel.

Wesley