Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Printed' insignia in WW1?

eparges

Hi,

I recently obtained a pair of slip-on 'shoulder titles', which appear to be 'printed'. They came with the small envelope they were (supposedly) sent in (to the city-council of Marskirchen in Germany). Both are inscribed on the back (translated) 'Souvenir of the Breakthrough Battle 21-3-1918', the other 'Souvenir of an 'Engländer'2 - 23.3'; Writing appears to be contemporary. I have to admit I've never seen 'printed' insignia in WW1....Any thoughts?

nf110.jpg

nf210.jpg

nf310.jpg

They look right to me and the inscription is great. I had an 02 tunic to the Kings Own with printed and very grubby titles like these sown to epaulettes. It was a Great War tunic!

Nice items and I would have them in my collection.

TT

They are not so much 'printed' as 'painted' - with paint rather than ink stencilled on to the fabric. I have a single which says 'Royal Warwickshire' in a similar finish.

They are not so much 'printed' as 'painted' - with paint rather than ink stencilled on to the fabric. I have a single which says 'Royal Warwickshire' in a similar finish.

Fascinating stuff, I 'imagine' that they were done by hand (?) rather than a machine and perhaps also using a stencil. It would be interesting to learn more about their manufacture in terms of where and who by. It's hard to imagine machinery sophisticated enough to have done such a tidy job of such a potentially messy task with seemingly little application for non-military purposes.

Very nice Titles.

These were pattern sealed in 1915 as "Titles, Oil Painted on Melton, SD--NF with Grenade"--probably under the number 8317/1915 (circa August 1915).

There is a pattern book missing so I am not 100%certain on the date, but these were replaced by the Embroidered titles with pattern 8937/1916 (16 June 1916).

These titles were introduced very early in the war to save brass and never became popular but are commonly seen being worn.

Joe Sweeney

Very nice Titles.

These were pattern sealed in 1915 as "Titles, Oil Painted on Melton, SD--NF with Grenade"--probably under the number 8317/1915 (circa August 1915).

There is a pattern book missing so I am not 100%certain on the date, but these were replaced by the Embroidered titles with pattern 8937/1916 (16 June 1916).

These titles were introduced very early in the war to save brass and never became popular but are commonly seen being worn.

Joe Sweeney

Even more fascinating. Thanks for posting that Joe. I would never have dreamed that oil painted came before embroidered, it just goes to show that you never can tell. It does seem odd too that titles made in 1915 should turn up to be captured by the Germans in March 1918, some years after normal wear and tear would have expected them to be worn out! Methinks they had been sat on some CQMS's store's shelf for a long time.

Herewith a pair of embroidereds sewn to a 1915 dated tunic; as per the Feb 17 order - albeit on the shoulder strap rather than the top of sleeve.

RFA1-1.jpg

RFA5.jpg

Cheers,

GT.