Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confused and looking for a little help

Sparky2372

Hi I'm seeking any details of my great grandfather's service records. I only have a small amount of information to go on and have become totally confused after trying to find him with the few details I have. His name was John Donald Barry and he came from Dundee. From the absentee voters list I was able to find that he is listed as being in the 741st Area Employment Company of the Labour Corps. His Labour Corp Service number was 371196 and I gather he made Sgt but that may have just been his rank on leaving the army.

I have since found after looking through the posts on this wonderful site that record of the Labour Corp are sketchy to say the least, but some members here seem to be able to work magic and find information that would take me years to discover.

Therefore if some kind soul could help me with this I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Fingers crossed.

Marc Newton

Thank you so much kenmorrison! and so quick as well. Makes me feel quite useless with this research business.

I know that it is really cheeky of me to ask but does anyone have and information on where the 741st was employed or any details of what they worked on exactly?

I'm really thankful for any information I receive.

Here's hoping.

Marc Newton

Marc

Good news and bad news I am afraid.

His Labour Corps number suggests he transferred to the Labour Corps in September 1917 when some Area Emploment Companies were formed.

From his number I am fairly confident that in September 1917 he was in 290 Area Employment Company who at the time were at Frevent.

The bad news is I have no way of telling when he was transferred to 741 Company.

In view of this I am loathe to give other locations for either of these companies

Sorry I cannot b more helpful

Ivor

Thank you Ivor Lee for your response and help. I understand that this area is very difficult to get information on so I thought it would be a long shot.

Thank you very much for trying to find out for me though.

As I said I'm not very good at researching this anyway, and when you add to that, the fact that the area I'm looking for infomation on is already considered difficult for those that know what they are doing, then I am fantastically thankful for any information at all.

Marc Newton

marc

Unless you have reason to believe that your man became an officer, then you are almost certainly wasting your time looking at officer's records. The only location for the service records of non-commissioned elements is the Ancestry copy of soldiers records. because of their quirky way of presenting results, it can take quite some time to be sure that they have nothing more than the MIC.

Keith

Thank you for the reply Keith. I was fairly sure that he did only make Sgt as my only photgraph has him as such, and no family information gave any reason to think contrary to that.

I must agree that the Ancestry website does have a fairly interesting way of displaying search results.. that was part of the reason why I thought I must be doing something wrong when searching previously.

I will try again now that I know that it isn't just me!

Thank you all for your help with this.

Marc Newton

• 7 years later...

Hope this helps you out; Thomas Bentham was transferred to the 747th Area Employment Coy at Frevent and given a new number of 372680 on 10 October 1917.