Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Manc Ex

Medal Roll Query

Guest Manc Ex

I'm helping someone research a relative with the surname 'Lord' and am having no luck. I've also found that there seems to be very few if any soldiers with that surname listed in the index. What you seem to get when you enter 'Lord' into the surname is an actual Lord as in Lord Dunsany etc. To test this I have entered service numbers as well as names for random Lords I've picked up on the CWGC site and nothing comes up. Has anyone else found this or can anyone think of a way around this. Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Michael Keane

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

If you are looking at the on-line system, very few of the 'L's have been done yet, hence your problem. There are in fact quite a few people with the surname Lord who served - I have seen the microfiches at the PRO. It is just a matter of waiting for the on-line system to be complete or make a visit to the PRO in Kew and do the research there.

Ian

Guest Manc Ex

Many thanks for your reply and welcome Ian. I think you're right a trip to Kew is called for. Although I am a bit confused as on the site they list availability for surnames begining with 'L' as 99%. Oh well.

Thanks again

Michael

Guest Ian Bowbrick
they list availability for surnames begining with 'L' as 99%.

<_< - for pinch read shovel.

Ian