Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Latest (?) lot of medals on 'Flog It!'

NigelS

Featured in this afternoon's programme (may be a repeat hence the question mark)

I shouldn't really be surprised, but as usual no better than expected. The 'expert' did pick up - from the medal inscription, I think - that one of the three medals of Sgt J Stott, 14188, 227 F Coy RE, was 'for bravery in the field', but at no stage (even when they were being auctioned) was it mentioned that this medal was an MM!

Even more staggering was the fact that the person they belonged to (a friend of the woman that had brought them along to the valuation) would have been quite happy just to have thrown them away!

Stott's medals together with some other WW1 medals made £390 (valued at £200-300)

For anyone that's interested, a quick investigation (MIC, 6 pages in pension records & 25 in 'burnt') shows that James Stott, of 13 Bath Street,Hartlepool, aged 19 years 9 months, enlisted on 10th June 1915 at Hartlepool with his trade recorded as an apprentice joiner.

Lance Corporal - 26 June '15

2nd Corporal - 20 August '15

Acting Corporal - 18th Sept '15

Sergeant - 11th November '15

CSM - early 1919 from a letter (post discharge) covering despatch of Warrant class II 19th March '19

Discharged class Z following GSW to neck with 30% disability 18th Feb '19

The award of his MM was announced in LG supplement issue 30476 pg 843, 14th Jan 1918

Hope this goes someway to making up for the fact that someone would have been quite happy to throw Stott's medals away, may he RIP :poppy:

(The 'expert's' opinion from the programme can be found Here )

NigelS

My tuppence worth: The whole buying, selling, and trading in medals really irks me. I can appreciate that people may no longer want medals or they are long forgotten about and then re-discoverd but the trade in them makes me a little uneasy. What price can be put on a "trio" or a "double", or indeed a gallantry medal? Personal sacrifice, pain, horror and indeed the laying down of a life can, in my opinion never have a monetary value assigned to it. I will treasure my grandfather's medals, my fathers's and my own and will make sure my daughter knows the stories behind them.

I saw this and I was a little confused about the ownership of the medals, the lady on the day had been asked to value them for a friend on the basis that she was a regular attender of boot fairs, when she told her friend that she didn't know the value her friend said she would throw them away, at which point this lady told her if she was going to throw them away she would take them. At that point following some questionning by the expert there seemed to be a subtle change and she then said she was selling them on behalf of this friend, or was she?