Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
ian harrison

Deciphering a Medal Index Card

ian harrison

Dear Listers,

I’ve recently obtained my great uncles medal card from the UK Archives.

The card has some details that are difficult to decipher, I wonder if someone could help me in explaining what some of the wording and some of the comments might mean.

· What is Suspense list/17

· In the NAME box what is the word

· The campaign at the top LH top corner, what/where is this campaign

· What is the wording under Suspense list/17

· In the RH lower corner there is an X in the “over” box does this mean there is more data on the reverse side?

Captain Albert Edward Harrison was court martialled from the AIF in 1917 he subsequently joined the British Army, he never returned to Australia and was never seen again, He joined the British Army as a 2nd Lt

I have attached the medal card picture to this posting, I can re-scan and send directly if it doesn't read well through this medium

If there is thought to be data on the reverse side of the card are the cards still in existence and can they be viewed?

Many thanks

Ian Harrison

Torquay Australia

post-31-1092226488.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

BEF 1914 - France & Flanders, eligible for the 1914 Star, with service between, 5 August - 22 November 1914.

About 10% of Officer's cards had their addresses on the back (according to a well known member of PRO staff), but the original cards cannot be viewed.

Ian

ian harrison

Dear Ian,

thanks very much for your help, it does complicate things as he didn't join the AIF until 1915 and I am pretty sure that this is his card. There we no other Captain AE Harrison's in the AIF.

I have been researching him for 2.5 years and every clue creates another question.

His case was well known in Australia, I have correspondence between The PM, the Premier and the RSL regarding his non return to Australia.

I will continue to investigate this card as it is my best clue at the moment

many thanks again

Ian H

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian,

I don't think I am wrong - MICs with the BEF1914 header are usually seen on those who won the 1914 star.

Have you tried the PROCAT and done a search for his UK service record under WO 339 & 374?

IanB

ian harrison

Dear Ian,

I'm quite sure you are correct, the date is quite readable.

I haven't researched via PROCAT previously and I will do so tonight, Chris Baker has done some work for me and we just ended up with more questions and more options as this fellow didn't want to be found

His wife was the Niece of the chief of the Australian Army Brigadeer Blamey, so he wasn't keen to be identified

many thanks again

IanH