The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieut Lennox Armagh

ARMAGH

Image1.jpg

ArmaghMenLtLennox001.jpg

Armagh Men 2nd Lt A.J. Lennox

Armagh Gazette dated 12 Febuary 1916

Mr Lennox has received the following letters ament the lamented death of his only son somewhere in France:-

Seaforth Highlanders

British Expeditionary Force 4th February 1916

Dear Mr Lennox I just heard yesterday the very sad news of Alfie being killed and it came as a great blow to me.

Alfie was one of the finest fellows I have ever met and a splendid soldier: not only that, but a friend worth having and keeping. During our time together in the 1 6th Black Watch his splendid example and great steadfastness in duty did us all a wonderful lot of good and I personally can say that his companionship exercised over me a wonderful influence for good and I mourn the loss of a very good friend.

Please accept, Sir, and convey to Mrs Lennox and your daughters my heartfelt sympathy at your sad loss, nevertheless you have the satisfaction of having a son who did his duty and that right loyally. I would not choose a better end than to know I have done my duty and died for my country. Again accept my sincerest sympathy for you and yours. Believe me, yours very sincerely.

David Buchannon (2nd Lieut)

Does any member have any details on 2nd Lt Buchannon ?

Name:David Buchanan

Death Date:1 Jul 1916

Regiment:Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, the Duke of Albany's)

Battalion:2nd Battalion

Type of Casualty:Killed in action

He was a private (2533) in the Royal Highlanders who went to France 2/5/1915. He was commissioned in the Seaforths 14/8/1915.

His brother J.J. Buchanan of Northland Rd, Londonderry applied for his medals.

On the 1911 census, John James(23) and David (18) are living at 8 Worthland Rd, Londonderry and, like their father William, are described as provision merchants.

EDIT - Just found a biography on the Diamond War Memorial Project website - http://www.diamondwarmemorial.com/soldiers/view/123

Name:David Buchanan

Death Date:1 Jul 1916

Regiment:Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, the Duke of Albany's)

Battalion:2nd Battalion

Type of Casualty:Killed in action

He was a private (2533) in the Royal Highlanders who went to France 2/5/1915. He was commissioned in the Seaforths 14/8/1915.

His brother J.J. Buchanan of Nortland Rd, Londonderry applied for his medals.

IPT

That was very quick,I was trying out a different way of posting and the photo did not come out,so had to do it the old way,

I knew his friend was also in the Black Watch,they came from all over Ireland to join the Black Watch,

do you have a date when he joined the Black Watch?

Many Thanks

Joe

The only Alfred John Lennox who died in WW1 SERVED WITH ROYAL IRISH RIFLES and was killed on 20/01/1916--born Drumenagh-Ballyronan-near Magherafelt Co Londonderry.

He Lived Abbey St-Armagh.

Wesley Wright

Ah yes, i'd ruled him out because SDGW and Ireland Casualties of WW1 both have him as 20/01/1917.

His medal card has him as Alfred James Lennox and shows he went to France with 6th Royal Highlanders 2/5/1915. Commissioned Seaforths 28/11/1915. The address on the MIC is 24 Abbey St, Armagh.

The only Alfred John Lennox who died in WW1 SERVED WITH ROYAL IRISH RIFLES and was killed on 20/01/1916--born Drumenagh-Ballyronan-near Magherafelt Co Londonderry.

He Lived Abbey St-Armagh.

Wesley Wright

Hello Wesley

The 1901 census has Alfie born in Co Armagh? the census could be wrong,where did your info come from?

Many thanks

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Wesley

The 1901 census has Alfie born in Co Armagh? the census could be wrong,where did your info come from?

Many thanks

Joe

Sorry for delay--I found the information in Mid -Ulster -Mail for 1916 (local paper for South Londonderry)

Wesley

• 3 weeks later...

From The 2nd Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War, etc:

Lennox 2/Lt. Alfred James. Born in Armagh, 1889, the only son of William James and Mildred Anna Lennox, 24 Abbey Street, Armagh. His father, born in Co. Derry, was a general draper at 17 and 19 Market Street, Armagh. His mother was born in Co. Antrim. Their religion declared in the 1901 Census was Fellowship of God’s Son. Siblings at that time were Jeannie (13), Louisa Agnes (10), Annie (9), and Mildred (6). Educated at the Royal School, Armagh. Enlisted as Pte 2388 in D Coy, 6th Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) TF, Perth, 10.10.1914. Declared age 23 years 5 months, height 5 foot 8½ inches, chest 35½–38 inches. Address 24 Abbey Street. Embarked Folkestone 2.5.1915. Received a slight GSW to the shoulder, 1.6.1915, and was admitted to No. 1 FA 51st Highland Division at Locon, and to No. 7 CCS at Merville the next day. Transferred to No. 5 Train on the 4th, to No. 20 General Hospital on the 5th, and to a convalescent camp at Etaples 20.8.1915. Rejoined his unit 31.8.1915. Discharged to a commission in 7th RIR, 28.11.1915, and posted to 2nd RIR, joining from the Cadet School 8.12.1915. Missing, believed killed, 19.1.1916. Reports on file state that he was killed on the 20th. His father wrote to the WO, 28.2.1916, that he had heard from the CO and from Capt. Kelly who ‘do not quite close the door against the faint hope that our beloved son may have been only wounded when he fell, and may therefore be alive in the hands of the enemy’. An internal WO memo dated 30 June referred to ‘List No. 131A’ from the German Government to the American Embassy in Berlin: a list of British dead forwarded to the Foreign Office 20.3.1916. One man is ‘Lenorx? 6 R.H.P. No. 2388’. This was taken as being Lennox and death was accepted for official purposes. Died intestate leaving an estate of £183. Witness statements: 7285 Rfn T. Compton, A Coy, at No. 23 General Hospital, Etaples, 14.7.1916, said he saw Lennox’s body lying in a trench at Vimy Ridge. He had been killed by a HE shell and the head was separated from the body. Compton knew Lennox well and was in a traverse when the shell that killed him came over. Lennox was buried at ‘Souci Valley’ behind the trenches. 8205 Rfn Coates, aboard the St David, Boulogne, 12.7.1916, saw Lennox killed on January 19th. Lennox was in charge of a party of bombers of which Coates was one. They were in an enemy trench near Le Touquet on the left of Armentieres. A bomb came over and blew Lennox into the air. ‘He was quite dead but his body was not taken back. The bomb fell in front of him and I remember I shouted to him, but he walked right on top of it and was killed outright.’ Ploegsteert Memorial. File ref: 339/50623.

From The 2nd Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War, etc:

Lennox 2/Lt. Alfred James. Born in Armagh, 1889, the only son of William James and Mildred Anna Lennox, 24 Abbey Street, Armagh. His father, born in Co. Derry, was a general draper at 17 and 19 Market Street, Armagh. His mother was born in Co. Antrim. Their religion declared in the 1901 Census was Fellowship of God’s Son. Siblings at that time were Jeannie (13), Louisa Agnes (10), Annie (9), and Mildred (6). Educated at the Royal School, Armagh. Enlisted as Pte 2388 in D Coy, 6th Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) TF, Perth, 10.10.1914. Declared age 23 years 5 months, height 5 foot 8½ inches, chest 35½–38 inches. Address 24 Abbey Street. Embarked Folkestone 2.5.1915. Received a slight GSW to the shoulder, 1.6.1915, and was admitted to No. 1 FA 51st Highland Division at Locon, and to No. 7 CCS at Merville the next day. Transferred to No. 5 Train on the 4th, to No. 20 General Hospital on the 5th, and to a convalescent camp at Etaples 20.8.1915. Rejoined his unit 31.8.1915. Discharged to a commission in 7th RIR, 28.11.1915, and posted to 2nd RIR, joining from the Cadet School 8.12.1915. Missing, believed killed, 19.1.1916. Reports on file state that he was killed on the 20th. His father wrote to the WO, 28.2.1916, that he had heard from the CO and from Capt. Kelly who ‘do not quite close the door against the faint hope that our beloved son may have been only wounded when he fell, and may therefore be alive in the hands of the enemy’. An internal WO memo dated 30 June referred to ‘List No. 131A’ from the German Government to the American Embassy in Berlin: a list of British dead forwarded to the Foreign Office 20.3.1916. One man is ‘Lenorx? 6 R.H.P. No. 2388’. This was taken as being Lennox and death was accepted for official purposes. Died intestate leaving an estate of £183. Witness statements: 7285 Rfn T. Compton, A Coy, at No. 23 General Hospital, Etaples, 14.7.1916, said he saw Lennox’s body lying in a trench at Vimy Ridge. He had been killed by a HE shell and the head was separated from the body. Compton knew Lennox well and was in a traverse when the shell that killed him came over. Lennox was buried at ‘Souci Valley’ behind the trenches. 8205 Rfn Coates, aboard the St David, Boulogne, 12.7.1916, saw Lennox killed on January 19th. Lennox was in charge of a party of bombers of which Coates was one. They were in an enemy trench near Le Touquet on the left of Armentieres. A bomb came over and blew Lennox into the air. ‘He was quite dead but his body was not taken back. The bomb fell in front of him and I remember I shouted to him, but he walked right on top of it and was killed outright.’ Ploegsteert Memorial. File ref: 339/50623.

Hello Jimmy

I have been researching this soldier,so this will complete the research.

Many thanks

Joe