Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ilford Films Staff Memorial

sirim

Does anyone happen to know where the Ilford Films (Warley, Essex) war memorial can be found?

I came across this old post on the forum which triggered an internet search for more information: -

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:18 AM

Ilford Films Ltd (Selo) in Woodman Road Warley Essex had a memorial to their employess (cant remember if it was the dead or those who served.) When Selo closed down and was demolished the memorial was moved to the local pub The Brave Nelson in Woodman Road. I will need to check if it is still there - any excuse for a pint!

Patrick

I did discover that The Brave Nelson pub is now closed and Banner Homes are in the process of carying out a public consultation regarding proposals for the site. Would any Brentwood / Essex members know if the memorial was in fact moved to the pub and if so, what has happened to it? (Or did it perhaps go to Mobberley in Cheshire where Ilford Film relocated?).

Thanks for any pointers!

Sirim

• 2 years later...

Hi Sirim,

Apologies for jumping onto an old post, but I've come across a web page that may provide more info to your original question (if you haven't found an answer already). Please see link to Maurice Fisher's comprehensive web-site on Ilford (Rajar) - there is a section in his timeline relating to WW1.

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Chronology.html#anchorTimeLine

Regards,

Spillers.

• 6 years later...
On 06/05/2012 at 20:23, sirim said:

Does anyone happen to know where the Ilford Films (Warley, Essex) war memorial can be found?

I came across this old post on the forum which triggered an internet search for more information: -

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:18 AM

Ilford Films Ltd (Selo) in Woodman Road Warley Essex had a memorial to their employess (cant remember if it was the dead or those who served.) When Selo closed down and was demolished the memorial was moved to the local pub The Brave Nelson in Woodman Road. I will need to check if it is still there - any excuse for a pint!

Patrick

I did discover that The Brave Nelson pub is now closed and Banner Homes are in the process of carying out a public consultation regarding proposals for the site. Would any Brentwood / Essex members know if the memorial was in fact moved to the pub and if so, what has happened to it? (Or did it perhaps go to Mobberley in Cheshire where Ilford Film relocated?).

Thanks for any pointers!

Sirim

Sorry only just found this I lived in woodman road all my life as such parents and grandparents as far as I know the memorial picture naming all workers what service they were in and Kia missing and etc was transferred from brave nelson to the lawns care home in uplands road off of woodman road hope this helps ian rossiter any more help contact me

My great grandfather was Kia in ploegstart Belgium in 1916 from Brentwood have news paper clippings Lance corporal William Chadwick on the cenotaph in Brentwood Essex regt

Just as a sideline,  Ilford Ltd had a memorial -very unexpectedly- in Ilford, at the former Britannia Works site ,now covered by the ugliest Sainsbury's in Christendom.  That memorial has subsequently been moved to Knutsford in Cheshire.  This from the excellent Redbridge and the First World War website, with Thanks to Gerard Greene, Dawn and Paris who did the work.

image.png.9cfd3eb4474e0897fb6a2589b57cd45f.png

The memorial includes, of course, Jack Cornwell, the Jutland VC, who worked for Ilford Ltd. until laid off  after war began-Ilford Ltd thought the war would diminish demand, plus the problems of some of their materials having come from Germany. Thus, Ilford Ltd  laid off women and boys at the start of the war- and, thus, Jack Cornwell joined the navy as a boy. The rest,as they say, is history.

Not confusing with the Warley memorial but might as well put the Ilford Ilford stuff on at this point.