Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

At GHQ

Robert Dunlop

I managed to pick up this book second-hand. Absolutely fascinating. Charteris began the war as a Staff Officer for Douglas Haig. He served as Intelligence Chief for Haig in the 1st Corps, First Army and then GHQ. Charteris was removed from post after Passchendaele and Cambrai. Haig kept him on as Deputy Inspector - General of Transport, which meant that Charteris actually continued to give advice in Intelligence matters.

The book comprises information that Charteris kept as notes of conversations, etc and the contents of letters he wrote home to his wife. If the latter is true, the Germans would have had a field day if they had intercepted them. Charteris provides interesting details of the workings of the various HQs, particularly Intelligence operations. He was clearly a great fan of Haig, so you get frequent references to DH, as well as many of the hundreds of visitors that came to GHQ. The struggles with LG (Lloyd George) are very evident.

The Intelligence assessments are very interesting. At times you wonder if the retrospectoscope has been bought into play. However, the thinking behind the battle of attrition with the Germans is clearly laid out. The interpretations of the various battles is also interesting. Charteris frequently went forward so he saw the conditions under which the troops were labouring. At times, his sense of the wastefulness of war comes through very strongly.

An interesting book that provides a different perspective on the British High Command.

Robert

this seems interesting as i have a downer on Chateris, seeing Macdonogh back in 'CIGS Control' as the better intel man. It also shows that Haig looked after his 'Friends' if he kept him on after he was dismissed. He did this with Edmonds when he had his break down in 1914, paying back his help from Staff College days. edmonds then did the favour back to some extent when he wrote the official history.

interesting to see that he visited the front, strange that he is often remebered for his bad intel etc if he often went there?

regards

Arm.

It is interesting. I was expecting some real faux-pas in his book. Now whether hindsight had a major influence on what Charteris recalled is hard for me to say. But if not, he was not too far out in many of his deductions. I will try and post a few as examples. Certainly Charteris drew his inspiration from Macdonogh so I think Charteris would acknowledge Macdonogh as the better player.

Robert

Certainly Charteris drew his inspiration from Macdonogh so I think Charteris would acknowledge Macdonogh as the better player.

I was always of the opinion that Chateris and Macdonogh differed on intel gathered and its interpritations. Chateris being over optomistic and Macdonogh being more accurate and on the catious side? Doesnt fit with him using Mac as inspiration.!!

regards

Arm.

I was always of the opinion that Chateris and Macdonogh differed on intel gathered and its interpritations. Chateris being over optomistic and Macdonogh being more accurate and on the catious side? Doesnt fit with him using Mac as inspiration.!!

The impression Charteris gives is that he gave out cautious assessments which were then embelished (or rather, interpreted in a more optimistic vein than Charteris was happy with) by Haig. I can't find the quote quickly - the book is too precious to annotate in my usual way. But this quote is pertinent I think and illustrates Haig's influence:

'Intelligence work teaches scepticism, if it teaches nothing else. Nothing can be accepted until it is confirmed from at least two other independent sources, and if it appears inherently improbable, it requires confirmation from at least one other source. The Head Intelligence Officer at GHQ [MacDonogh] has this scepticism developed to the highest point. His strongest affirmation is that 'Something or other appears not improbable', that means it is practically certain. DH demands more than this. Everything that goes to him has to be sharply divided into Fact, Probability, Possibility, Improbability but reported, and he holds me responsible that everything is in its proper category.'

Robert

Interesting snippet Robert thanks.

When was the book written before or after Haigs passing?

Could put Chateris in a different light.

regards

Arm.

Ah the old wait till he dies syndrome then let rip!!!! ;)

thanks

Arm.

Perhaps a bit of that. But Charteris comes over as very loyal to DH. This is one of the few occasions in the book where he expresses a difference of opinion shall we say. I have not read Charteris' biography of Haig. That might cast more light. But it definitely is not a case of putting the boot in. I was expecting something like that, given the way Charteris was axed. But the tone of the book is complimentary to Haig.

Robert