Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gurkha Ypres Actions

Glenn

I am soon to be taking a Gurkha Company for a Battlefield tour of the Ypres salient. Can anyone tell me whether there were any Gurkha actions in the salient or even sites of Gurkha burials?

Best regards,

Glenn

Glenn,

I'm not too sure where the Gurkha related sites are around the Ypres Salient, others I am sure will be able to help. Gurkhas are mainly Hindu's who are cremated at death and therefore have no headstone as such. There may be the odd Buddist or moslem amongst them which are buried, but most of them are Hindu. As of any memorials to the Gurkhas, perhaps others can help.

Good luck

Iain

Glenn,

Following soldiers are commemorated on the Menin Gate:

1st King George's Own Gurkha Rifles (The Malaun Regiment) 19 soldiers (panel1)

4th Gurkha Rifles 31 soldiers (panel 2)

Burma Military Police attached 1st King George's Own Gurkha Rifles (The Malaun Regiment) 9 soldiers (panel 1a).

Most of the casualties are from the period April- May 1915.

Hope this helps,

Jacky

Glenn,

Have you checked with the Gurkha Museum? Their book "The Gurkha Brigade in the Great War 1914-1920" should be helpful; it provides a brief record of the service of each unit and of the formations and theatres of war in which they served.

Sorry I don't have an e-mail address but their regular address is as foll: Peninsular Barracks, Romsey Road, Winchester, Hampshire SO23 8TS

I also have a note of the shop 'phone, (0962) 842832 but I cannot be sure that it is up to date.

Best of luck

Michael D.R.

I know of one Gurkha grave at Transport Farm Cemetery, Zillebeke - it is on the left by the wall, close to the main entrance. I don't have my registers to hand to say who he was - this is about the only such grave I have seen in the Salient... I presumed most were on the Menin Gate.

There's an unknown Gurkha (A Soldier of the Great War...Unknown Indian...4th Gurkha Rifles ) buried in Railway Dugouts cemetery.

I'm also pretty sure that I've seen the odd one or two in Bedford House.

Dave

Glenn

I am currently reading "The Indian Corps in France" which covers the

actions of the Lahore Division during 2nd Ypres. Both 1/1st and 1/4th Gurkhas of the Sirhind Brigade participated in the attacks on the German positions north of St. Jean up towards Pilckem Ridge, between 26th April

and 1st May 1915.

Geoff