Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

threewheeler military car

essexboy

Wilf married a Margaret M G Weightman in 1934 in Alnwick

So nephew looks good

Grant

The 1911 Tyseley cockpit looks pretty close, apart from the doors and the higher front bulk head

Grant

Y

The 1911 Tyseley cockpit looks pretty close, apart from the doors and the higher front bulk head

Grant

Yes,the Tyseley is similar,it was made by the Bowden Brake Co in Birmingham. They also made a 4 wheeler. This coach builder,Archbold Hall

sounds interesting,I wonder if he made the body for Robinson the blacksmith. If the car is a one-off, no wonder we can't find a picture of it.

I have a recent book on cyclecars by Stephen Kay (£10..) with about 300 cars in it but many makes are just descriptions and no pictures.

I've had an idea of contacting the local paper in Alnwick with the car/blacksmith story to see if it might jog some memories,all relatives have

old photo's, don't they !! Bob

,Archbold Hall

sounds interesting,I wonder if he made the body for Robinson the blacksmith. If the car is a one-off, no wonder we can't find a picture of it.

When I was looking at the old directorys, I looked for car makers in the area who Mr Hall could be supplying, but didn't come across any, which made me think of your car.

He couldnt have been a full time car body maker, not with all his other jobs so a one off is a good possable

Would there be a local museum in Alnwick ?

Grant

I will have a look tomorrow at the museum link. I think I'le probably have to have a sort of holliday up there but it's about 450 miles so I need to go with

as much info as possible. I've always thought that one link to military use is the army green paint but is this a red herring as there was probably loads

of this type of paint available at the time. Even so,why would you paint a blue car that wasn't very old with dull green paint?

Bob

Did the early RFC / RAF used much green paint ?

Most of the early planes that I have seen were dirty brown colour

Grant

Ps, can I come on holiday with you ? looks a fun place - http://www.alnwickca...mstick-training - B)

Next week - http://www.visitnorthumberland.com/events/on/kielder-vintage-classic-vehicle-show-p30121 - Cant find any details for it

Managed to contact Alnwick museum and have sent them all the details. Spoke to a man there who's really interested,he even remembers the blacksmith shop!!

Regards the paint,I think maybe the equipment,trailers,ammo boxes etc would have been in army green more than the aircraft. Must be chaps on this forum

who could clear this up. Evidently, the military requisitioned anything they could get their hands on so maybe mine was used!!

Bob

Sounding good.

Keep us posted

Grant

• 5 weeks later...

At last !! I went up to Northumberland at the weekend found the blacksmiths and even met the blacksmith's widow.

Yes,the blacksmith made the car himself and I managed to get a photo of it around 1920.Now the work begins.

Thanks so much for all the interest. Bob

Did the early RFC / RAF used much green paint ?

Most of the early planes that I have seen were dirty brown colourcool.gif

Dark green was used for night fighters and post WW1 for most night bombers too (when viewed from above it's better than black).

At last !! I went up to Northumberland at the weekend found the blacksmiths and even met the blacksmith's widow.

Yes,the blacksmith made the car himself and I managed to get a photo of it around 1920.Now the work begins.

So where's our piccy ?

Grant

keep trying but can't reduce it enough. The Lieut-Colonel did it for me last time but can't

get hold of him at the moment. Bob

keep trying but can't reduce it enough. The Lieut-Colonel did it for me last time but can't

get hold of him at the moment. Bob

Bob,

Email your photographs to me, and I shall gladly resize and post them for you.

Regards,

LF

Here is the 3 wheeler photograph Bob asked me to post. Great photo, and I am sure Bob will add the details.

LF

post-63666-0-71435200-1339793158_thumb.j

Thanks L F This photo was probably taken around 1921-22 and what luck to show my reg number on

the front. There's someone in the car,you can just see their shoulder ! Can't make out what the lever is

sticking out under the running board,pity it's not clearer but I'm just glad to have a pic at last. Going to

Brooklands Museum tomorrow (vintage car sprint ) and will try to identify the radiator.

Cheers Bob

Now, Land rovers Series I-III aside, that's what I call a nice little motor! Lovely photo!

Trajan

Very nice, well done LF

Bob,

Could the "Shoulder" you see be a return for the windscreen board ?

And could the "Lever" be some sort of anti tipping leg, with another one on the other side of the wheel - it must have been pretty wobbly with the weight of two people sat right over that wheel going around a bend

The puzzle is slowly unfolding

Grant

Hi Grant, Think I'm still going for the shoulder idea but not totally convinced. Don't think the lever is an

anti-tipping aid,most threewheelers of that period were quite stiff at the rear although 2 big blokes

cornering hard would be interesting ! I think the lever may be a kickstart but you would have to lift

the running board up to use it.

Bob

Bob,

In your car the driving position seems to be a lot higher than most of the others, where the cabin seems to sit very low between the wheels.

Isn't the hole in the front of your engine for a crank handle, would be a lot easier than a kick start on the passenger side

Grant

Yes, it is a strange body but I think the blacksmith may have used an older body off a veteran car

and made the running gear himself. Quite a few cyclecars wound up from the side mainley because

the engines ran front to back,not side by side. I have no idea of the original engine or which way

round it went so i can do my own thing. Chains, belts , propshaft, bevelbox ... great stuff. Bob