Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

62nd Brigade RFA

Rory Stephens

Hi there

If there any members out there who have any information about the 62nd Brigade RFA, I would be most grateful. I am most interested to learn about there war service, where they were raised and where and who they served with. I realise a visit to the Woolwich library is probably a great starting place, but unfortunately I am suffering with a bad back - so that day will have to wait.

Many thanks

Rory

Rory

Whwn your back is feeling better you can take a trip to Kew and read the two War Diaries for this Artillery Brigade:

WO95/1836 runs from Jun 1915 to Dec 1916,and,

WO95/1837 runs from Jan 1917 to Mar 1919.

You will get day-by-day accounts of activity.

Sotonmate

Rory

Whwn your back is feeling better you can take a trip to Kew and read the two War Diaries for this Artillery Brigade:

WO95/1836 runs from Jun 1915 to Dec 1916,and,

WO95/1837 runs from Jan 1917 to Mar 1919.

You will get day-by-day accounts of activity.

Sotonmate

Thats brilliant sotonmate - thanks a heap

Rory

• 1 month later...

If anyone out there has the dairy for the month November 1915 - I would be overjoyed. I was due to go to Kew tomorrow and they emailed me to say the brigade diary is being digitised and may not be available for some time!!

Many thanks

Rory

Rory: I have the entire diary of 62nd Brigade, RFA in digital format. If you are willing to pay the postage and packing costs from California I would be happy to send you a DVD with what ever portion of the brigade diary you need. PM me if interested. Regards, Dick Flory

• 6 months later...

This is a message for 'Old Sweats'...I see you have the 62nd Brgade RFA diary- I have a relative who was wounded 10 Nov 1917 - Robert Williams service no's W/5303, SWB 266302. I was wondering if you could have a look at the diary around the 10 Nov 1917 to see if there is any mention of wounded soldiers at that time and what action it might have been. Just trying to get some mroe info together on Gnr Williams. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer....Tony

Unfortunately the war diary for 62nd Brigade, RFA does not mention the wounding of your relative on 10 November 1917. For that date the war diary states:

"near Feuchy Chapel Corner: 10/11/17 Remainder of Batteries and HQ were relieved an the Brigade marched by night to Courcelles-le-Compte."

Dick Flory

• 5 months later...

Hi Dick, thanks for taking the trouble to post that anyways, appreciate the help, also allows me to at least place the area where it happened.

Cheers,

Tony

• 3 years later...

Hi - Resurrecting this thread after a few years in the hope of some help, particularly from rflory if you're still active?

My family and I are beginning work to dig into the military service of our direct ancestors. We are fortunate to have an extremely good collection of letters, photos, medals and artefacts from their military service up to and during the Great War. This thread is of particular importance because my Great Grandfather commanded 'B' Battery of the 62nd Brigade until his death on 20th March 1917 - Major James Robert Walker MC. I would be very interested in seeing/reading the war diary for this brigade, and any other useful resources that might show military service records. James also had two other brothers in service during the war with the artillery, and I'd like to find out more about them in due course.

Any tips for resources, information, or essential reading would be most welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum,

There is a good chance Dick Flory will see this - he is still very active on the Forum.

Probably the most useful record for you (if not seen already) is his National Archives file - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1066933

The War Diary is also available at the National Archives website as a download for a reasonable amount or via Ancestry on a subscription (but free for a short period if a new subscriber). NA War Diary in 4 parts here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352642 and here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C4554988

Hi David - thank you and thanks for the National Archives links. I was aware of the first link, very useful links to the war diaries - great! I will acquire these soon. In time I'd like to go further back than the war as all three brothers joined the Royal Horse Artillery as trumpeters at 14, so would eventually like to find out more about their service which dates from the 1890's. Do you know of any good reading on the history on the RHA generally to give me a bit of context and understanding? Also, I understand that the RHA museum archive is closed whilst it's being moved to a new site on Salisbury Plain, is that right?

Thanks

Yes, the Royal Artillery Museum has been closed at Woolwich and is relocating to Salisbury Plain. However, you can find these records on Findmypast:

WO 76 - Regimental Records Of Officers' Services 1775-1914
WO 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913
British Army, Royal Artillery War Commemoration Book, 1914-1918

There is a long list of books, some online, on this page - http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Royal_Artillery

I see that 2Lt J R Walker is the Army List for jan 1915  as temporary/Lieutenant with 197th Battery, 62nd Brigade  - which became B Battery /62nd Brigade early 1915 when new batteries lost their numbers. commissioned 2Lt 27 September 1914.. started off with 12th Division. I would start with 'Long Long Trail' resources indicated top left on this page..

• 1 year later...

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone had any thing on my relitive “Harper” 

(do not know his first name)

i belive he was in the 62nd BRIGADE, R.F.A 

we don’t know much about him but we’ve found a old Christmas card that he sent home with a picture of the Brigade in SHORNCLIFFE ,1914 

Sam

Do you have other info - see this link http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/batteries-and-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery/lxii-lxiii-lxiv-and-lxv-howitzer-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery-12th-divisional-artillery/

You maybe need to do some family history work first to try to get personal details for the chap. A search on the National Archives brings up  326 candidates, and please keep in mind that not all recruits did serve overseas and therefore many did not qualify for service medals and might never be traced.  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Royal+Field+Artillery+AND+Harper

• 3 years later...

Hi Mwalker,  I am in the same boat.... or trench !. if you are still on hear i would like to share information on the Walker Brothers.

S Walker.

On 24/02/2017 at 15:03, Mwalker said:

Hi - Resurrecting this thread after a few years in the hope of some help, particularly from rflory if you're still active?

My family and I are beginning work to dig into the military service of our direct ancestors. We are fortunate to have an extremely good collection of letters, photos, medals and artefacts from their military service up to and during the Great War. This thread is of particular importance because my Great Grandfather commanded 'B' Battery of the 62nd Brigade until his death on 20th March 1917 - Major James Robert Walker MC. I would be very interested in seeing/reading the war diary for this brigade, and any other useful resources that might show military service records. James also had two other brothers in service during the war with the artillery, and I'd like to find out more about them in due course.

Any tips for resources, information, or essential reading would be most welcome. Thanks!

3 Walker brothers, RYKW, JR, R Walker.jpg

This is a Daily Mail new paper cutting about the 3 Walker brothers in 1917, I am hopeing the British libery has a copy as I cannot find any, it will I, belive, take a booking to visit and view the copy of the actual paper and hopfully take photos of it.

Luckily we have the full copy of this paper, I believe from the day. It's in very good condition...and it's where the picture above comes from:

P1010760.JPG

Thanks Mwalker for posting this, Thats Great that you have a copy of the Daily Mail artical on the three Walker brothers in WW1 service, will save me some work !!!.

Such a record taken at the time helps to understand what when on with our forebears.

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2019 at 22:36, Guest said:

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone had any thing on my relitive “Harper” 

(do not know his first name)

i belive he was in the 62nd BRIGADE, R.F.A 

we don’t know much about him but we’ve found a old Christmas card that he sent home with a picture of the Brigade in SHORNCLIFFE ,1914 

Hi Guest,

Are you able to share the photo of the 62ed Brigade.? 

I have a relative, James Robert Walker who helped forming the battery at Shorncliffe from 26.8.14. and would be interested in this.

Steve...