Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What to do with this old medal?

PaulC78

Hi folks!

I've already searched these forums and have found some excellent -- though sometimes contradictory -- advice on cleaning old medals, but I'm looking for some more specific advice in this case. It looks like what I have is a British War Medal, but as you can see from the picture the condition is quite tragic, so much so that I can't make out the inscription around the edge. Obviously it's quite badly damaged and I don't expect to be performing any miracles, but I'm hoping that there's still enough detail hidden underneath all the grime that will allow me to identify the recipient.

Would it be best to have a go with an old toothbrush and some soapy water and see what that does for it, or am I likely to be needing something a bit stronger? Hopefully this isn't a lost cause!

post-89772-0-92561900-1335653515.jpg

PaulC78,

The best advice I can give you is to go to the search box (located right side top of the opening page) and type in çleaning old medals' When the results

come up you will find lots of help on how to clean old medals.

hi paul

as you said there are other threads on this that have been met with mixed responses , i personally give my medals a clean with a very fine grade wire wool and i stress fine grade as not to scratch the medal, it is better to try the softer medias first i.e soapy water and a tooth brush, but having said this if there is a fair amount of muck to shift then it may take bit more effort sometimes soaking in cheap coke (the fizzy drink) as this contains small amounts of phosphoric acid which will eat into the muck and not affect the medal i jus posted a pic on militaria displayed topic with my very small collection which have all been cleaned with the methods i explained apologies the pic quality aint great , there may be contradictions to these methods but it works for me and as you said your prticular medal is quite rough , also with regards to you hopeing to see the stamping around the rim if any remains the wire wool should reveal jus have patiance and a light hand to start with

nathan

Being a medal collector myself, There are many here who are also members of the British Medal Forum. There are a few threads on there suggesting various methods for the cleaning of medals.

It does take a while, but I have used WD40 and a toothbrush before, to rather nice results. You need to let it soak for a few hours then rub with a toothbrush and repeat the process a few times.

By the looks of the medal above I would say it's been buried in the garden for a few years or has been the victim of a house fire.

Cheers Andy.

By the looks of the medal above I would say it's been buried in the garden for a few years or has been the victim of a house fire.

Yes, apparently it was dug up out of our back garden in the 1980s. As my family has lived here since before the war I'm hoping it belongs to a relative, though I have no idea who that may be.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Normally, I would say that a 'nicely patinated' medal is dirty. Yes, there are vehement discussions on the point here and in other fora identified above. But 'take wire wool to it'? Noooooo! This medal is beyond ordinary cleaning. Leave as is, or wreck it otherwise.

Well, I went ahead and cleaned it up a bit. The service number is still unreadable, I can make out a 2 and maybe a 7, the rest looks like PTE A KEATING LAN FUS. I've searched through the records on Ancestry and elsewhere and I think this is my man:

http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/1583652/KEATING,%20ALBERT

Who he was and how he fits in with my family is still a mystery, but he was local so it looks promising.

According to SDGW, Pte. Albert Keating, 2/7th Lancs Fus., was killed in action on 21.3.18.

He was born in and enlisted in Southport, with his residence as halsall.....just down the road, where I presume there wasn't a recruiting office )Halsall is no metropolis!)

Strangely, his name is not on the Southport War Memorial.

His number was 52279. Does that fit in with what you can see from the rim?

Bruce

You've probably seen that in 1911 he was 12 and his residence is given as 10 Sefton Southport, in the North Meols district. Does that make him any closer to where you live?

Do you have Tarn-X available where you live? I have used it to clean a few items dug from the garden and have had very good success removing all manner of dirt and mineral deposits. Just put some in a jar with the medal and give it a good soak.

Daniel

According to SDGW, Pte. Albert Keating, 2/7th Lancs Fus., was killed in action on 21.3.18.

He was born in and enlisted in Southport, with his residence as halsall.....just down the road, where I presume there wasn't a recruiting office )Halsall is no metropolis!)

Strangely, his name is not on the Southport War Memorial.

His number was 52279. Does that fit in with what you can see from the rim?

Bruce

You've probably seen that in 1911 he was 12 and his residence is given as 10 Sefton Southport, in the North Meols district. Does that make him any closer to where you live?

The only number I can see clearly on the rim is 2, followed by what looks like a very faint 7. Comparing it to another medal suggests that the 2 is in the middle.

I live in Scarisbrick, so Halsall and Southport are just a few miles away. His name is on the war memorial at Halsall, I went down there yesterday evening and took a picture...

post-89772-0-53302500-1335892748.jpg